tire flattening

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
okidoke, I bought 2 new models. a P-38 and a P-51. and I wanna try something new with them. I've seen some models with their tires flattened slightly to indicate the weight of the plane. i would like to learn how to do this. can anybody help me?

You have a vise? Warm up (not heat up) the working surface or a suitably flat spot on the vise with a butane lighter (or similar). You don't want it to be hot or too warm. You will have to test with a piece of sprue.

Take your tire and gently push it onto the warm vise metal until you get your desired flat tire effect. This doesn't remove any tire material and bulges the material out.

Or an alternative version that is just acceptable for smaller scales would be to just sandpaper off a flat spot. Just keep in mind your compound wheel angles.

It is most realistic if you can do this while the tires are mounted for the reason noted about landing gear compound angles. Just think about a Bf-109 and the multiple angles you might have to deal with. ;)

Use a non-stick skillet, a shovel, a kitchen knife, a door hinge, a wrench, a slab sided Colt 1911 .45, your stainless steel sink, your BBQ grill...

C'mon. Think man! :lol:

LOL thanks, everyone! it's too late tonight for me to try it, but I shall try it tomorrow!

and yes, I sometimes need to b slapped, Matt XD

okidoke, I've flattened the tires slightly using a lighter and the damn thing could NOT look better!

I use the Wifes iron ! Turn it on to a hot setting, put a bit of veg' oil on the face of the iron, so the plastic doesn't stick to it and press the tyre onto the face of the iron, 'voila' instant bulge :oops:

Just rember to clean the oil off after !:shock:

ian.

Well done. Where's our pics to demonstrate the fruit of our wisdom? :toothy5:

lol the model is finished, but im waiting til I finish the Mustang to put up pics

lol I'm getting closer to finishing the Mustang, but I've hit a lil snag... >_< I want to paint it in the scheme of Miss Marilyn II of the 343rd FS. I've tried doing Masking tape for cover but it's extremely hard, I think I'll just put the bordering decals on it and paint it by hand -.-

ok, it looks freakin awesome hand painted, I'm not quite finished with her yet. I need to do some touch ups and then the decals, then I"ll be done :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back