Tokyo tanks on B-17 series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
Hi all,

Lately I've been wondering about the Tokyo tanks fitted on the B-17 production lines beginning with the F model. Anyone have any information on whether all B-17E, F, & G models could accomodate these tanks?

If you like, you may email me at [email protected].

Thanks

I have no idea on the E model but the manual for the F and G makes no mention of planes not being able to fitted with them.
Planes fitted with the tanks had shut off valve control handles located either the radio compartment or the bomb-bay. How hard it was to install or remove the tanks, piping and control valves I have no idea.
Manual is here:

B-17F/G Manual (One Piece)

I have no idea on the E model but the manual for the F and G makes no mention of planes not being able to fitted with them.
Planes fitted with the tanks had shut off valve control handles located either the radio compartment or the bomb-bay. How hard it was to install or remove the tanks, piping and control valves I have no idea.
Manual is here:

Manual is here:

Since you don't know about B-17E models being able to accomodate Tokyo tanks, perhaps you wouldn't mind asking other members of this site about it?

All I can add is that the fact sheet for the EAA's late production B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" says that the range could be extended with the addition of the Tokyo Tanks.

All I can add is that the fact sheet for the EAA's late production B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" says that the range could be extended with the addition of the Tokyo Tanks.
Did that apply to ALL "big-tailed" B-17s (E thru G)? (And if you don't know, feel free to ask other site members about it.)

Granted it is wiki but : Tokyo tanks - Wikipedia

"All B-17F aircraft built by Boeing from Block 80, by Douglas from Block 25, and by Vega from Block 30 were equipped with Tokyo tanks, and the entire run of B-17Gs had Tokyo tanks. These B-17s with factory-mounted Tokyo tanks were first introduced to the Eighth Air Force in England in April 1943 with the arrival of the 94th and 95th Bomb Groups."

Joe Baughers website is confusing on this issue as it 'says' the B-17E could be equipped with fuel tanks bringing total capacity to 3612 US gallons which is way more than than the normal wing tanks and bomb bay tanks.
What adds to the confusion is the statement on the B-17F page.
" A stronger undercarriage was installed which allowed the maximum weight to increase to 65,000 pounds, and later to 72,000 pounds."

Website says the max gross weight of a B-17E was 53,000lbs which makes the carriage of around 21600lbs of fuel rather suspect even for ferrying.

I don't know personally but I'm sure someone will be along who does know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back