Tolland's Rising Sun

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Japanese reader introduces there sentences from the book which I did not know but controversial in Japan several years ago.
Curious. Thanks for sharing.

The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki meant that in order for these weapons to be used to kill or injure humans, it would have to be during a war. Japan and the United States must remain at war until it is possible to drop the atomic bomb. The text of the Potsdam Declaration was completed on July 2, 1945, but a former U.S. ambassador to Japan James Grew's opinion as an advisor to the State Department at the time that it should include the phrase "the Emperor will not be abolished." was ignored. If such words were included, Japan would accept the Potsdam Declaration by the end of July. If that happened, the US would not be able to drop the atomic bomb. It is believed that this was a conspiracy between Truman and Byrnes that delayed Japan's acceptance of the Potsdam Declaration or unconditional surrender would be in time for dropping an atomic bomb.

A Japanese reader introduces there sentences from the book which I did not know but controversial in Japan several years ago.
Curious. Thanks for sharing.

The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki meant that in order for these weapons to be used to kill or injure humans, it would have to be during a war. Japan and the United States must remain at war until it is possible to drop the atomic bomb. The text of the Potsdam Declaration was completed on July 2, 1945, but a former U.S. ambassador to Japan James Grew's opinion as an advisor to the State Department at the time that it should include the phrase "the Emperor will not be abolished." was ignored. If such words were included, Japan would accept the Potsdam Declaration by the end of July. If that happened, the US would not be able to drop the atomic bomb. It is believed that this was a conspiracy between Truman and Byrnes that delayed Japan's acceptance of the Potsdam Declaration or unconditional surrender would be in time for dropping an atomic bomb.

Professor Thomas Childers of the University of Pennsylvania has an interesting view, he writes: In the context of 1945, to be the President of the United States, with a war weary population around the world, what choice would Harry Truman have. Truman made no decision, because there was no decision, Truman had a weapon that could end 8 years of war instantly. The bomb was a horrible thing, the whole war was a horrible thing

I've not read it cover to cover for ~15 years, but I do find Rising Sun very serviceable as general reference for the Pacific war. If I need to look up something Pacific war related, it's usually the first book off the shelf.

It covers all the important parts, although it is probably a bit lacking on the intelligence/codebreaking war and the coverage of the CBI and Burma theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back