Top Speed of the P-51J?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jabberwocky

Staff Sergeant
Jul 24, 2005
Australia
I recently got into a discussion with another member of a different webboard about the top level speed of the P-51J. The P-51J was a P-51 with a lightened structure, redone nose intakes and an Allison V-1710-119 rated at 1720 hp.

His contention was that in documented testing it had done over 500 mph, and he gave Graham White's 'Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II' as his reference.

However, I have always understood that the P-51J never even got near that speed. Both Joe Baughers and Greg Goebels state that performance of the Allison engine was well below expected. On the one prototype built performance expectiations were below the estimated 491mph.

So which was it? Does anyone have anything definitive on the P-51J? Can anyone locate the passage in White's book?

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p51_12.html
It was anticipated that a maximum speed of 491 mph could be achieved at an altitude of 27,400 feet, but this was never achieved during tests because the new Allison had not yet been cleared for full power operations. XP-51J Ser No 44-76027 was, in fact, loaned to Allison so that they could use it to iron out the bugs in their engine. The other XP-51J prototype, Ser No 44-76028, was never actually flown, but was scavenged for spare parts to keep the other example flying.

Thanks Piaggio,

Unfortunatlely, I already know what Baugher's website states. I have it in my bookmarks :D

Although I love his site, he is sometimes at odds with more recent print research. Does anyone have Graham's book to confirm the otherside ofthe story?

Hm. I don't think any of my books have much information specificaly on the P-51, but I'll take a look when I get home.

So it's not always accurate, hm. I'm not too suprised, but I wish there was a good online resource.

I recently got into a discussion with another member of a different webboard
What, we dont satisfy all ur WW2aircraft cravings???? We're not good enough for ur full, undivided attention??? I can never understand u mutilpe-message board people.... I have little enough time to spend here, let alone at other sites...

Plus, by staying with one board, I find the relationships seem to grow stronger with the members...

lesofprimus said:
I recently got into a discussion with another member of a different webboard
What, we dont satisfy all ur WW2aircraft cravings???? We're not good enough for ur full, undivided attention??? I can never understand u mutilpe-message board people.... I have little enough time to spend here, let alone at other sites...

Plus, by staying with one board, I find the relationships seem to grow stronger with the members...

I am a historian by education and find that each we-board has its own skew on things and particular 'unique' points of view. I hate getting too partisan over one subject, I like to play devils advocate, enjoy a good 'forum dogfight' and usually annoy people everywhere by being as clam and reasonable as I possibly can.

I generally do the 'loot and pillage' thing on links, documents and interesting threads, all across the internet. I usually cruise 5-6 different gaming, WW2 and warbird forums, plus occasionally frequent about 10-12 others. You wouldn't believe the amount of information that people dig up or have found in their grandfathers docuements, the back of the cupboard or hidden in an old trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back