Tornado GR4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A smaller one

Attachments

• sig.jpg
    sig.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,274
I'm no expert on modern stuff
so correct me if I'm wrong

You have the Tornado GRs (IDS -Interdictor Strike) and the Tornado Fs (ADV - Air Defence Variant); the way I tell them apart is that the GR is grey/olive drab camouflage for mud-moving and the F is light grey for tackling enemy fighters. I always got the impression that the F1's radome was pointier too.

Doesn't that make your picture a Tornado F1?

Colin, the camouflage schemes of the GR variants have changed, sometimes depending on role, over the years. They have been green/grey, light grey, mid grey, dark grey and desert pink. The Tornado F3's are normally 'Air Defence Grey', a two tone overall grey scheme, not unlike the earlier Phantoms. The ADV (F3 etc) versions have a longer fuselage, with the nose radome longer and thinner, and the re-fuelling probe is fully retractable into the fuselage. If you have a look in the modelling section, under 'What's on the workbench', you should find a shot of my somewhat dusty and worn model of the F3 version.
Hope this helps.
BTW, nice shot of the GR, Blaydon. Any connection with the town of the same name, on the Tyne?
Terry.

Correct Terry,

F3 is very light shade of grey with a longer nose this is Dark sea grey used on GR4 aircraft.

This one is in a sun shelter at Al Udied airbase whilst engaged in operations over Iraq.

Yes the name is to do with the north east it took the others in my troop about 10 mins to connect my accent to the song Blaydon Races and there it was.

Heres the F3 for comparison.

Attachments

• tornado_f3__1.jpg
    tornado_f3__1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 56
I'm not actually from Blaydon but lived pretty close.

Born in Benwell grew up in Greenside, Crawcrook and Ryton.

Had a good friend as a kid who lived in Low Fell but he moved away when I was 7 and lost touch.

Small world Colin and Kev! I'm originally from Dunston, had friends in Low Fell, and an Aunt in Ryton! Been many, many years since I lived in the North East though. BTW Kev, very nice shot of the 56 Sqn. Tornado F3.
Terry.

Same with myself left the area just before I joined up.

Retired now the photo is from my last OOA.

And 56 were at my last station.

Terry you a Stillborne? (sorry Airborne)

Me too! Yep, Kev, I was a 'dope on a rope', then 'the other lot'. Too old and knackered now though, as a legacy of those good times!

Yeah terry I was a Royal for a while until all the amphibious yomping did for my knees then I became a Crab instead.

My uncle though he was 3 para when I was a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back