Transports (1 Viewer)

Which transport had the most effect?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well now the C-47 (DC-3) was a great impact on war and post war, but I think the Ju-52! Use it in any condition and could even be put on floats! I am not shore if the C-47 can claim that, I have seen it on skis. But I think the list is a little small but the c-47 was given away to every one.

the ju-52 just was a cool looking plane with three engines and could do everything!

why was the SM.81 cooler? The JU.52 was so good a what it did, yes it was not a god bomber, but troops and suplies! It helped to keep Rommel in North Africa. That and the sm.81 was not made in such great numbers!

butit was a better bomber and practically the same as the 52, and it was italian! all italian planes are cool IMO

The Sm.81, that was the Sparrow wasn't it? I can't remember, more I learn about tanks more of the aircraft information gets knocked out of my head.

I'd have to say the C-47, it's still in civil action now, although, I did see a JU-52 at Manchester airport when I was going on holiday...I'm going to say C-47 just because it was so well used and did it's job brilliantly. The Ju-52 did good in France 1940 and Africa but...I don't know.

And how were the Crete landings succesful? The Germans lost like 25% of their attacking force and those landings were what made everyone realise aerial assaults would only be good behind enemy lines, not full on assaults like that.

The airborne landings on D-Day went well, for the British anyway. They achieved all their objectives...6th Airborne says in your face 101st.

Well, I was way off.

The C-47 was made in so meny numbers they were given away as Lend-lease!

As for the 101st Normandy landings going poorly, try dropping that meny troops in the night to try and get bridges and cross roads, while deep behind the lines. While it went all bad, one good thing was the Germans did not know where they were goin, so they were tied up all night.

As for the British airborn, they were mostly in gliders and had vastly different objectives. But they were pulled by Halifaxes, a great plane that was better then a Lanc!!

The British Airborne were to capture bridges over Orne River and Caen Canal, attack Merville Battery, destroy bridges over Dives river and hold Ranville ridge. Which they all did quickly and effectively. 2nd Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire with only the loss of 2 men captured the two bridges, the first unit to complete its objective on D-Day.

Lanc, I thought you would say that :) But I think they do not get the credit they shodd, at least in the States.

Plan_D: thanks, I did not know the British airborn drops were that good. I hope thought that you would agree that with all the miss drops the US airborn had it did confuse the German's.

they line jumped..................

(p.s. i was hoping someone would quote my last post and say "who, the americans?")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back