Tree trimming Army Air Force style

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Other angles of Lt. Richard Sulzbach's mount, "Buzzin Cuzzin," after colliding with trees.

picture-19.jpg

picture-9.jpg

picture-20.jpg

Last edited:
Flak nearly ruined Lt. Charles Harris' day. His mount, Joyce's Joy II, managed to get hit multiple times during a dive bombing and strafing attack.

picture-47.jpg

This, from an encounter on May 12, 1944, is not the story behind the above picture. (The above picture depicts flak damage.)

"After this I called for a join up of the Squadron at 18,000 on the bombers. My No. 3 and I flew about 70 degrees for a few minutes and came up on the B-17's again. I saw 4 P-51's chasing something so flew over to investigate and took a left turn over them. I had just about found out that it was an ME-109 but too late. Another one came from behind me and laid in several nice close 20mm. Two in the right wing root knocking out the flap, wheel, which burned out, and aileron. Two in the right elevator and several in the fuselage and prop. Those things give you a start for a while but you can usually bring a P-47 home. P.S. This is in no way to be used as an advertisement for the thing though. Well we got home to learn that two of the boys had shot the Jerry ---- so and so down. They didn't even let him jump out.

I claim one FW-190 destroyed because I saw him strike up and go down burning --- two FW-190's damaged as I saw the strikes. -- I also claim one P-47 to be repaired.
"

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/353-duncan-12may44.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I have a question because I'm wondering what could be the connection of Air Force to tree trimming and removal? I'm looking for the best answer the best answer that can convinced me.

Last edited by a moderator:
very early in 1944 bomber command and and the heads of the 8th air force came up with a plan to keep LW pilots from flying. it was called "Operation Appleseed" A study had found that if fruit trees during their blooming cycle recieved a traumatic shock to their system they would fail to produce fruit. it was believed that without this daily ration of fresh fruit the LW pilots would develope severe cases of scurvy and thus ground a vast number pilots. this would translate into fewer allied bombers being intercepted and fewer losses. The P 47 was the choice due to its hardy airframe and engine combination. specially trained piloted called "Johnnies" ( after johnny appleseed ) were tasked with finding orchards and flying through the tender upper portions of the trees. Mosquito recon units sent out weeks in advance took thousands of photos to pin point all the orchards of germany and western europe. as for why would such a venture be launched. the plan nearly worked too but the loses to the 'Johnnies" was too much for the 8th to endure so the operation was aborted. for more read the book " a worm in the apple. the secret ag war of WW2 ".

that is one explaination or you can just understand it was a joke... a play on words. planes were flying through trees ( unintentionally ) and chewing them up....not good for the plane or the tree.

Last edited:
How on earth can the Jug not dip the wing and crash after losing half of a wing? The pilot must have had aching muscles after taking the bird home being kissed by a chimney like that!

Bringing the aircraft home must be a primal instinct.
But maybe with that much wing gone he couldn't get enough altitude to jump, and probably his landing speed was so high he didn't want to risk just any bumpy field, without firefighting equipment.

Impressive I must say. Reminds me of the
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvEGohPmxk, but those babies have a different amount of thrust. And the guy being interviewed actually said something along the lines of "I don't think any other airplane could have taken that amount of damage and bring the pilot home safely." Well think again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back