Trip to the National Museum of the US Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The O-2A was the Air Force version of the Cessna Model 337 Super Skymaster, used as a forward air controller aircraft which was used during the Vietnam War.

Last edited:
Known as the L-20 Beaver until 1962 the U-6A served with the Air Force from the early 1950s until the late 1960s. It was used for courier service, passenger transport, light cargo, reconnaissance, rescue and aerial photography missions. It served in both the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Last edited:
The OA-12 Duck is the U.S. Air Force version of the Navy J2F-6 which was based on the design of the XJF-1. After the Second World War the Air Force's Air Rescue Service was in need of an aircraft for overwater missions, so it acquired eight surplus Ducks from the Navy in 1948 and designated them OA-12s. Although it is painted to represent a OA-12, this particular aircraft never flew for the Air Force. It was a Cost Guard Duck ,and after being made surplus in 1946, stared in several movies including the Peter O'toole film "Murphy's War"

Last edited:
Another Grumman design for the Navy, the Albatross was also bought by the Air Force and used mostly for the Air Rescue Service seeing a lot of use during the Korean war.

Century series fighters next!

Last edited:
Great stuff Glenn. The 'Albert Ross' is another one I've always liked, since seeing my elder brother's model back in the 1950s. Think I might track down the old Monogram kit some day.

don't know how I missed this thread Glenn,nice shots and thanks for posting them,it must have taken you hours and hours to get so many great shots

The first of the Air Forces Century Series fighters, The F-100 was one of the first super sonic fighters, entering service in 1954 just missing the Korean War. Early F-100s had some stability issues and North American's chief test pilot, George Welsh was killed while performing dive tests. (Welsh may be remembered as one of only a few U.S. fighter pilots to get airborne during the Pearl Harbor attack, shooting down multiple Japanese aircraft.) In the Vietnam war the F-100 was used primarily as a fighter bomber and was withdrawn from Regular AF units in 1972, but was still used by National guard units until 1979.

Last edited:
The Voodoo was used in many rolls, low-altitude fighter-bomber, photo reconnaissance, two-seat interceptor and trainer. The RF-101C on display was used for low altitude reconnaissance during the Cuban Missile Crisis and also in Vietnam.

Last edited:
The Delta Dagger is my personal favorite of the century series fighters. It made its first flight in 1953 and entered service with the Air forces' Air Defense Command in 1956 as the world's first supersonic all-weather jet interceptor . 1000 F-102s were build and at the height of their career in the late 50s' they equipped 25 air defense squadrons. The F-102s did not have any guns but carried rockets in an internal missile bay. The F-102A on display served in Iceland which accounts for the red arctic markings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread