Trip to the National Museum of the US Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The AC-130 is a C-130 Hercules converted to a gunship with the massive firepower of two 7.62mm miniguns, two 20mm cannon, and two 40mm cannon, directed by soficated infrared and low-light television fire control system.

The aircraft on display has a notable history. Everyone is familiar with the "Highway of Death" when the Iraqi army was retreating from Kuwait, well this is the aircraft that did it.
This from Wikipedia:
Named Azrael (Azrael, in the Koran, is the angel of death who severs the soul from the body), this aircraft figured prominently in the closing hours of Operation Desert Storm. On 26 February 1991, Coalition ground forces were driving the Iraqi Army out of Kuwait. With an Air Force Reserve crew called to active duty, Azrael was sent to the Al Jahra highway (Highway 80) between Kuwait City and Basra, Iraq, to intercept the convoys of tanks, trucks, buses, and cars fleeing the battle. Facing SA-6 and SA-8 surface-to-air missiles and 37 mm and 57 mm radar-guided anti-aircraft artillery the crew attacked and destroyed or disabled most of the convoys.

P2187809.JPG
P2187813.JPG
P2187814.JPG
P2187817.JPG

Last edited:
I was wondering about the camel and crab markings but don't have a clue. I know that camel markings were sometimes used on C-46s denoting trips over the "hump" during WW2 but that would not apply.

The Eagle started it's service career with the U.S. Air Force in 1974 and has been their main all-weather air superiority fighter ever since. With upgrades it will remain in service until at least 2025. That will be over 50 years of service!! The F-15 was the first U.S fighter with a thrust greater than its weight, enabling it to accelerate straight up. It has been supplied to many friendly nations and can claim the title of most successful fighter with a total of 104 kills and 0 losses, over half the kills being done by Israeli Air Force pilots.

P2187830.JPG
P2177700.JPG
P2177701.JPG
P2187820.JPG
P2187823.JPG

Last edited:
Originally designed as lightweight, low cost, air superiority day fighter, the Falcon has evolved into an all weather multi-roll aircraft. The design wad started in the early 1970 in response to the Air Forces' call for a small light-weight fighter designed for high performance and ease of maintenance. It first flew in 1974 and production started in 1976 and has since served with the U.S. Air Force and many other nations. Although no longer being produced for the Air Force, they are still being manufactured for foreign sale. The F-16 is scheduled to remain in service with the U.S. Air Force until 2025

P2187827.JPG
P2187798.JPG
P2187799.JPG
P2187801.JPG
P2187803.JPG

Last edited:
The MiG-29 was designed in the early 1970s as an air defense fighter with a ground attack capability in response to the new generation of American fighters at that time, including the F-15 and F-16. The prototype first flew in late 1977 and production aircraft started arriving my 1983. It remains in use by the Russian Air Force as well as in many other nations. The NATO name "Fulcrum" was evan sometimes used unofficially by Soviet pilots.

P2187808.JPG
P2187831.JPG
P2187806.JPG
P2187807.JPG

Last edited:
I remember building the Monogram F-16A kit with the bi-centenial colors quite a few times when it came out. And I agree about the MiG-29. That truly is a beautiful airplane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back