Trying to figure out a picture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aggie04

Recruit
Nov 20, 2009
Anyone have any idea where these Germans are or what kind of tanks those are?

Picture4.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking Russia as well.

Any ideas on this one?

Picture1.jpg

I think it kind of looks like an old fire truck or farm equipment of some kind.

I can't seem to find anything like it. It looks too plain unsophisticated to be a listening device. I am not even sure what kind of troops those are.

This apparatus was called the Ringtrichterrichtungshoerer (or RRH) translates literally as "ring funnel direction hearer", or more accurately: "ring-horn acoustic direction detector".
The RRH could detect targets at distances from 5 to 12 km, depending on weather conditions, operator skill, and the size of the target formation. It gave a directional accuracy of about 2 degrees.

It had a crew of three - traverse aimer on the left seat, elevation aimer on the right seat and a dial-reader/talker in the middle. The rolled-up material above the operators' heads could be unfurled to provide shelter.

The curved things visible under the ring are the rear of the horns.
your photo shows it on its transport cart

piet

Attachments

• RRH5.jpg
    RRH5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 196
  • RRH6.jpg
    RRH6.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 191
  • RRHsep.jpg
    RRHsep.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
hmmm...is this an earlier version that I have?

very interesting....figuring out some of these obscure pictures it like playing detective.

The 'Jeep' is either a Ford or Willys, and I'd say the location is France or Belgium, judging by the style of dress of the civilians and the architecture, possibly early Autumn 1944. The uniforms of the US troops suggest they are possibly Airborne, although the helmet staps don't support this.

Could be Chris. That was my first thought, and the guy with the brimmed hat would support that, although the houses look a bit more French/Belgian than Italian.

I'm basing it on probably a rather unscientific, stupid premise that with the coats and light jackets it could be Italy just for the fact that the one fall/winter the Allies spent in Europe I believe was rather cold and snowy. Italy they spent at least 2 fall/winters.

That and all the crosses in the windows. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back