Tu-95 vs B52: Which is best?

Tu-95 vs B52: Which is best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
You choose the terms - which comes out on top?

Buff hands down. The Tu-95 couldn't do the low level mission the B-52 has done and besides you could probably hear it coming!

Buff has been more versitile and changed missions like a stripper changes outfits. But that's not to say the Bear wouldn't/couldn't do the same if the option was available.

On top of that, the Bear is a much better looking bird. Not saying much, the B52 is one ugly airplane.

On looks, it's the Bear. On creative uses of a bomber that was supposed to be tossing Slim Pickens out of the bomb bay and ended up doing a lot more, the Buff.

I think overall the B-52, but one should not discard the Bear. At sea they were greatly feared back in the seventies, trained to attack enmasse with massed volleys of standoff cruise missiles, and fitted with credible recon and ECM suites. During the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan they long range patrols overflying Pakistani airspace and a small contingent from Yemen (I think) caused us a great deal of concern

Maybe this argument will only be settled for sure when one is retired, leaving the victor.

The Tu-95 is more versatile as it has been sold to other countries, a civilian airliner version was made and a dedicated sub hunter version....plus over the horizon radar targeting and was used in Sigint and Elint missions.

The Tu-95 is more versatile as it has been sold to other countries, a civilian airliner version was made and a dedicated sub hunter version....plus over the horizon radar targeting and was used in Sigint and Elint missions.

I would not say that the Tu-95 is more versatile, certainly not because it has been sold to other countries. Being sold to other countries has nothing to do with versatility of an aircraft. The B-52 was a better weapons platform and overall a better airframe in my opinion.

The Soviets got more from the Tu-95 than the Americans got from the B-52.

The Tu-95 and B-52 both had Boeing airframes!

Because they used the Tupelov design in different ways. Getting more out of the basic airframe.

Both was designed as nuclear bombers and neither was used for what it was designed for...nuclear war.

I think the question has to be looked at a bit more objectively than that. We will never know if the buff or the bear was a better nuclear bomber or not, but we can still make some conclusions on the relative merits of each type based on some basic categories for assessment. I would think the main areas to consider would be:

1) survivability
2) effectiveness
3) versatility
4) serviceability
5) cost

I dont have a good enough knowledge of both types to reach too many conclusions, but both types have good records in all these categories. Im gueessing but I would think the Bear is cheaper, but less serviceabile. I would say the buff is more survivable and more effective. It would be close, but I think the Bear might be more versatile/adaptable

I'd say the B-52 is fairly versatile. I believe it could carry any bomb in the US inventory.

Attachments

• b52.jpg
    b52.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back