Twin-hull planes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was a proposal for a zwilling Do-335 variant, I seem to remember. I think there some info and CG drawing on Luft '46.

Given the fact that the He-111Z and (P)F-82 were as successful as they were, it has always surprised me that the twin concept was not used more to expand on the capabilities of existing proven designs.

Here's a line-drawing of the 3-engined Me410 Z-1

The armament could be the same as the Me410 A-1, or I'm sure there could be upgrades.

The one thing I would be concerned about, is the DB603's performance in relation to the twin fuselage with only three engines. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say about the concept...

Attachments

• Me410Z.jpg
    Me410Z.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 145
Nice concept, but (always a 'but' :) ) the DB-603s were rare as hen's teeth.

On the related issue, what do you use for drawing, gg?

A hefty twin-hull, P-47Z. Outer wings now house fuel tanks, lower upper HMGs are staggered so they could have many rounds. Two versions:
-turbo: night fighter; heavy fighter; recce
-non-turbo (space gained by deleting turbo gear houses even more fuel in upper hull, while lower hull might contain a bomb bay, or another fuel tank): fighter-bomber/medium bomber/attack plane/torp bomber (take a pick :) )

Replacement for B-25/26, A-20/26, P-38/61...

Attachments

• p-47double799.JPG
    p-47double799.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 133
Twin Wildcat - say, Grumman dumps F5F XF-50 and builds this plane.
Users: USMC, USN, RAAF, RNZAF, RAF, mainly in Asia/Pacific. Wing power loading more favorable than Hellcat Corsair, so we hang a torpedo under inner wing. Night fighter-ready. Speed now on par with latest Zeros, greater if we mate two FMs. At 1st, historical undercarriage, later replaced with single unit per hull, hydraulically operated. Fuel tanks in outer wings.

Now, we bolt on 1700, and then 1900HP R-2600s for 400 MPH+ :D

Attachments

• WildcatDouble800.JPG
    WildcatDouble800.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Back to the UK: double Spit.
For use in Asia-Pac 'stead of Mossie, plus as a night fighter in all theaters. Depicted here with clipped wings, Mk. V used as basis.

Attachments

• SpitDouble800.JPG
    SpitDouble800.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 114
From the other side of the fence: double Fw-190.
Depicted here with 6 x 20mm, no MGs, in hope to kill the 4-mots.

Attachments

• 190Double800.JPG
    190Double800.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 102
I was just thinking that many of these would make AWESOME "what-if" modelling projects. Who's gonna build the first one? I really like the twin 190's and P-47's myself.

Think someone posted twin Stuka at our modeling sub-forum...

Twin Wildcat - say, Grumman dumps F5F XF-50 and builds this plane.
Users: USMC, USN, RAAF, RNZAF, RAF, mainly in Asia/Pacific. Wing power loading more favorable than Hellcat Corsair, so we hang a torpedo under inner wing. Night fighter-ready. Speed now on par with latest Zeros, greater if we mate two FMs. At 1st, historical undercarriage, later replaced with single unit per hull, hydraulically operated. Fuel tanks in outer wings.

Now, we bolt on 1700, and then 1900HP R-2600s for 400 MPH+ :D

Now I have to wonder just how much shipboard space that thing would require....................................... While this stuff is interesting, intellectually, just how PRACTICAL would this behemoth be? Engine availability would also be an issue for most, if not ALL, of these mental exercises, especially during wartime.

If you check the possible users (to quote myself: USMC, USN, RAAF, RNZAF, RAF), you'll see only one of them need shipboard place, and that's only partionally :)
As for being behemot, double Wildcat would have had wingspan of a Beaufighter, or Bf-110, while being lighter.
As for engine availability, well, most (all?) of my proposals are depicted with widely produced engines, and, if 4-engined planes were manufactured in quantity, then I see no issues here. Not to mention many of planes really produced were little more than waste of good engines. Eg. 3000 Merlins alone went to Fairey Battle + BP Defiant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back