Twin Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MACHIA

Airman
Jul 27, 2013
New Jersey
I've read over the years conflicting information concerning the P-82 airframe .
Some say it was two P-51airframes , while others have stated that it was a completely new airframe(s) .
Curious to know the actual history on this airplane .
Thank you .

Back around 1986 I decided to build a 1/48 scale model of a P-82 using two Monogram P-51D kits and a FSM article on converting a D to an H.

I found you could not do it. The P-82 fuselage was stretched a great deal as compared to the P-51H, so much so that simply inserting a plug into the aft fuselage would not work. You would need to sculpt two wholly new rear fuselages. Of course the MLG was in a completely different spot, too.

The people in Douglas, GA, who restored the XP-82 said it had only one part in common with the P-51H. It had rather more in common with the XP-51F.

By the way, while the Allison V-1710 could be converted from L to R rotation with only one part changed in the gearcase, the V-1650 Merlin had to be made in L and R versions. They were lucky enough to find one of the very few left turning Merlins for the XP-82 restoration.

you tube has a video by the crew who have restored the XP-82. Their answer to that question is "There is only five parts common to the P-51D".

I'm not totally sure how many parts it had in common with the P-51H. Supposedly the canopy was similar, but there were some differences overall.

Users who are viewing this thread