Type LOOP LP-21

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

loopbomber

Recruit
Feb 15, 2024
Attached is an non static loop antena and i wondered how i can tell if this was off a B-17 or another aircraft in WW2.
loop1.jpg
loop2.jpg

The Radio Compass DF Loop LP-21 antennae used for multi-engine US aircraft like the B-17, B-24, B-29 B-25 and many others.

The full inscription should be :

LOOP LP-21 ... <- and here one or two letter/s indicated the type. Clean slightly the area up to find the last sign/s.
NONSTATIC
CORRECTED
T.O. ...-...-... <- here the Technical Order number. Your seems to be 2-3-3? but it was overpainted. Also required cleaning at the end sign to fine the correct ending digit.
DATA LINE NO. ... <- here a number also cleaning of the area is required to get it.

The Radio Compass DF Loop LP-21 antennae used for multi-engine US aircraft like the B-17, B-24, B-29 B-25 and many others.

The full inscription should be :

LOOP LP-21 ... <- and here one or two letter/s indicated the type. Clean slightly the area up to find the last sign/s.
NONSTATIC
CORRECTED
T.O. ...-...-... <- here the Technical Order number. Your seems to be 2-3-3? but it was overpainted. Also required cleaning at the end sign to fine the correct ending digit.
DATA LINE NO. ... <- here a number also cleaning of the area is required to get it.
Once I clean and get that additional information will that then let me drill down to what aircraft.

Rather no, it won't. I doubt it can be found to what particular aircraft it was attached to. The full marking may help in getting the number of aircarft types limited.

Does paint help. I see a blue paint with a little bright yellow as well. The color is on the actual plane and not on the Loop as they cut part of the plane to get the Loop.

Certainly the blue paint could help if we would know if it was attached to the top or bottom of the aircraft. But I can't remind myself a such blue colour on the bottom of the B-17. Usually it was the neutral grey colour if the bomber was camouflaged or the NMF ( natural metal ) if no camouflage. The same regarding other US bombers.
IMHO ... the Technical Order ( T.O. ) may be a better clue. It is because the code should contain the code of the manufacturer and the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back