U to fat for Halloween Candy!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glad halloween is over. Seems like we're getting more American events, at the cost of traditional Dutch ones. For instance, the Dutch variant is at November 11th. Kids make coloured lights, go pass the houses to sing a song and get candy. That's hardly done anymore. I've got nothing against Americans, but it would be nice to keep some sort of own identity.

The origins are actually Celtic, the end of harvest, begining of winter festival known as Samhain. During this time spirits and fairies could easily enter our world and these needs must be propitiated so food and drink were left outside. Spirits of the dead were thought to return to their homes and relatives set places for them at table. Muming and guising were also part of the festival so people went door to door in costumes, recited a verse, and were given food
The early Christian Church had a policy of putting its holidays at the same times as the pagen ritiuals thus in 831 AD Nov 1st became All Saints (Hallows) Day, Nov 2 All Souls Day and Oct 31st evening before these two days became All Hallows Eve, or the three taken together Hallowmas.
During the Reformation, Protestants objected strongly to such Popist customs so Halloween never came to America until the mass Irish and Scottish immigrations of the 19th century.

Glad halloween is over. Seems like we're getting more American events, at the cost of traditional Dutch ones. For instance, the Dutch variant is at November 11th. Kids make coloured lights, go pass the houses to sing a song and get candy. That's hardly done anymore. I've got nothing against Americans, but it would be nice to keep some sort of own identity.

They do the same thing in Germany as well, with little lanterns that are held out on a stick. They walk through the streets singing songs and everything.

This sounds like the lady whos dog always poops on my lawn and she never picks up!

I know its you lady! Stop the poop and do some scoop !

Leave the kids alone! Give them candy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back