Uhu nf information

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
from an authority on I./NJG 1

two parts with incredible information as to timing of the different He 219A's and pilots

save for your files until the book on the gruppe is written ............

Hello Erich,

Just He219 A-7's with Jumo 004's of course haha !

No kidding, I will check my data tonight. I have some doubts whether the KTB is still that detailed for October because with every month, it's entries became less detailed. However, not all hope has gone, because I have several Flugbuch copies for the same period.

About the subtype used, I see in my steadily expanding database of He219's that the first references to He219 A-2 were just after this date:
9th October > He219 A-2 (Wnr.290004), hard landing on M-Handorf, repaired, mentioned next on 17th October
14th October > He219 A-2 (Wnr. 290003), crashlanded on M-Handorf
15/16th October > He219 A-2 (Wnr. 290002), lost 8km NE Bremen, 2 killed

Predominantly, the I./NJG 1 operated still with He219 A-0 subtype at the beginning of October 1944, when they got their first A-2's. On the 6th November 1944 the inventory lists 17 He219 A-0 and 7 He219 A-2, showing a growing number of A-2's.

The KTB I./NJG 1 has the following entry: Angriff Ruhrgebiet. 6 Besatzungen gestartet. Nur Fw. Morlock 1 Abschuss.

I have checked following crews:

Stab I./NJG 1 : Baake/Bettaque
1./NJG 1 : Modrow/Schneider, Thurow/Neff
2./NJG 1 : Fries/Staffa, Henseler/Fischer
3./NJG 1 : Hittler/Wildschütze.
Of these, only Baake and Fries flew in this night of 9/10th October 1944:

Lt. O. Fries/Fw. W. Staffa (2./NJG 1) in a He219 > up 20.35, down 21.45
Hptm. W. Baake/Uffz. R. Bettaque (Stab I./NJG 1) in a He219 > up 20.31, down 22.20. The Flugbuch of Bettaque contains the following entry 'Einsatz Ruhrgebiet. Start zu spät, Fahrwerkschaden Bauchlandung.' This must have been He219A-0 (Wnr. 190223) which got 30% damaged wenn it made a belly landing at Münster-Handorf.

As I do have also a He219A-2 of the 1./NJG 1 slightly damaged (5%) due to a hard landing at Münster-Handorf, someone of the 1./NJG 1 - not Modrow - started too that evening. It is just speculation who might have flown this Heinkel. In this time of the war, 1./NJG 1 crews were
Oblt. Stieghorst / Uffz. Frunske,
Hptm. Schirmacher / Fw. Waldmann or
Uffz. Oppermann / Uffz. Hansen.
Uffz. Frankenhauser / Uffz. Biank
Oblt. Henseler / Lüdecke

Well, 3 of 6 crews with a name is not bad at all but the best I can offer at the moment, all the best,

Heyas Erich,

A-2s only from October '44? Yow!

I wonder if you / your source (the other MH?) know whether the 15/16 October crew was Oblt. Steighorst or Uffz. Frankenhauser?

Cheers,

Mark

Frankenhauser was in combat over Münster on the 14/15, of October in an A-0 and Stieghorst and his B/F were both killed on October 15/16, 44 in an A-2 G9+BH Northeast of Bremen in air combat

interesting going through my own fiels I see the A-5's finally coming into ops in January of 1945. like we have discussed Mark what a slow start for I./NJG 1 with the Uhu in getting equipment updated, really as bad as the US nfs's in the ETO with the Widow.

Many thanks for that Erich. Bad couple of nights for the Uhu crews.

Hello Erich
Thanks a lot for that very interesting info!

Juha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back