under the 109 slats? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bozothenutter

Airman
Feb 10, 2021
I have found a pic of the underside of the slats on 109Lair, but what does the area on the wing look like?
Pics of wing without slats anyone?

Just a strip of a flat riveted plate with two arms for the slat fitted to the shape of the moved piece giving the full shape of a wing airfoil at the wing leading edge while slat closed.

bf 109 wing structure.jpg

slat3.jpg

In the diagram at right, we see an overhead view of the port inboard slat arm, with the parts noted as follows:

a- mounting fork
b- washers
c- fastening bolts
d- castle nuts

The pic and info source: basepage

Yes, but what colour is it? Was it painted 02 before the slat was installed then the camo colour painted with the slat installed and retracted? Bare metal?

Yes, but what colour is it? Was it painted 02 before the slat was installed then the camo colour painted with the slat installed and retracted? Bare metal?

Andy, it is quite difficult to state that. The pics below don't give the answer. However the RLM 02 seems to be very likely.

bf 109e slat.jpg

air_me109_52.jpg

the source: Messerschmitt Bf 109 - Wikipedia

However a couple of shots showing Bf 109 assembling lines, reveal that the areas were of a primer used by the factory initially.

bf 109 assembling 1940.jpg

Bf_109.jpg

the source: Relic Plywood pieces from a BF-109 G10

Also it is very possible that the camo was applied with the slots installed but not retracted. In the case the leading edge under the slat would look like that one in the image below.

slat.jpg

the source: Relic Plywood pieces from a BF-109 G10

That makes sense for the G-10s when it was important to save production steps. Good info Wojtek. Painting that area 02 would seem to be an extra step that maybe could be afforded in early days.

Last edited:
Yes. it looks like. Also here gathered a couple of clipped pics with the tops of the leading edges for Emil seen. Two of them are of the dark tone and one of lighter one. All pics taken in full sunlight. These shots show that the recess for the slat was of different colour though. But you are right that it could be afforded in early days.
Anyway it seems that the colour there could be the RLM 02 rather

Bf 109E-slats.jpg

Bf 109E-slats_b.jpg

Bf109E-slats_a.jpg

But for the G-6 it also looks good.

Bf109G_a.jpg

Bf109G_b.jpg

Bf109G-6_c.jpg

There is one more nice image of the slot area of an Emil. But I couldn't find the images via the net. It should be on my old HDD but unfortunately it is still in hardware service waiting for becoming an USB drive. If I find that I'll attache the shot there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back