Unknown device

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VALENGO

Senior Airman
I need help to identify this device, it seems to be intended for keeping level fly or for steady diving angles, but no idea about age or machine in wich it delivered service.
Any suggestion, thanks (the device is heritage from an old uncle, now passed away).

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 140
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 86
Looks like some type of range setter for an artillery piece. That's the best I can think of offhand. But somebody on this board will know more.

Couple of questions:
-Is there any writing on it? If so, what kind?
-Any stamps or manufacturers marks on it?
-Any dates?

Without knowing its size, it's difficult to tell, but it looks like it could be one part of a 'sight' as used on mortars, or on machine guns used in the sustained fire role. This would be aligned with two or more marker posts, and elevation etc set by using the scale calibrated on the quadrant. The principle is not unlike a theodolite or sextant. It is very possible that, as already mentioned, it is off an artillery piece.

If you have any friends who are civil engineers, they might be able to help you with it. The principles of artillery direction and aspects of civil engineering are very similar.

As a retired Artillery Officer and Civil Engineer I can say I have never seen one of these objects.

The scale appears to be too coarse for artillery, you would need to be able to set angles to minutes to be effective.

It could be a means of measuring the angle of a crane Jib.

I'm thinking searchlight.... something like the 105cm Fortress type.

I saw a similar device attached to the fortress searchlight at a museum a few years back

Cool stuff. Haven't a clue. Does look like some type of an inclinometer. Dial in the desired inclination and then adjust the equipment until the bubble is centered. It has a mitered way for quick-mounting. Did any dive bombers use this kind of stuff to achieve desired dive angle?

Quote: Dial in the desired inclination and then adjust the equipment until the bubble is centered.

Yes, and it is a "head up" device because you must watch the bubble with help of the mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back