Unknown exhaust stub

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

catd8man

Recruit
4
3
May 9, 2022
Would anyone have any idea what engine this exhaust stub would've been fitted to? I recently bought it off eBay and the seller has no idea either.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7941.jpeg
    IMG_7941.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 56
This piece appears to be aluminum, not steel, and the presence of rivets is atypical for an exhaust stack. Engine exhaust stacks are always steel to hold up to the heat and corrosive gasses. I'm guessing it is not an exhaust stack, rather some kind of ducting elbow for hot air. EDITED: Artifact has been confirmed as steel.
 
Last edited:
I agree with Tom Fey's post. Additionally, the exhaust stacks are welded usually but not riveted. Or casted as a solid metal part.
 
This piece appears to be aluminum, not steel, and the presence of rivets is atypical for an exhaust stack. Engine exhaust stacks are always steel to hold up to the heat and corrosive gasses. I'm guessing it is not an exhaust stack, rather some kind of ducting elbow for hot air.
Hi Tom, it's definitely made of some sort of Steel. Also has carbon residue on the inside. I agree with you it's highly unusual to have a riveted exhaust, but there is also signs of spot welds
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Hi Tom, it's definitely made of some sort of Steel. Also has carbon residue on the inside. I agree with you it's highly unusual to have a riveted exhaust, but there is also signs of spot welds
I wonder it it is an exhaust for a small piston-powered APU? Or perhaps an exhaust fitting for some type of flame-dampening exhaust system, but those are typically welded and quite heavily built.
 
Would anyone have any idea what engine this exhaust stub would've been fitted to? I recently bought it off eBay and the seller has no idea either.
Hi,

That certainly looks to be an exhaust stub/connector for a JUMO 211 Flame damped or air heating exhaust manifold for a He 111, Ju 88 or similar.
The cast flange has the correct shape and detail bolt pattern.
The cast flange possibly has some numbers stamped on it, possibly on the outer face or on the outside edge.

Cheers

Eng
 
Hi Tom, it's definitely made of some sort of Steel. Also has carbon residue on the inside. I agree with you it's highly unusual to have a riveted exhaust, but there is also signs of spot welds

Hi,

The later-War period German flame-damper exhausts on German bombers and Nightfighters were quite crude and rough construction in some cases. I do think that your
stub/connector is for a JUMO 211 Flame-damper of some type, but it might also suit a JUMO 213 Flame-damper. The bolt pattern could be matched with the detail of these exhaust
ports, I do not have the exact sizes of that, but you might try finding out or even get to try it on a real engine.
Have a detailed look all over the cast part of the flange for numbers, there might be some.

Cheers

Eng
 
Hi,

The later-War period German flame-damper exhausts on German bombers and Nightfighters were quite crude and rough construction in some cases. I do think that your
stub/connector is for a JUMO 211 Flame-damper of some type, but it might also suit a JUMO 213 Flame-damper. The bolt pattern could be matched with the detail of these exhaust
ports, I do not have the exact sizes of that, but you might try finding out or even get to try it on a real engine.
Have a detailed look all over the cast part of the flange for numbers, there might be some.

Cheers

Eng
Many thanks for your help identifying this stub!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back