Unknown jet aircraft, late 50's?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucew

Recruit
Feb 12, 2008
I found a picture in my dad's old slides of an aircraft I can't identify. I believe the picture was taken when we were at Edwards in the late 50's for their big open house which was very impressive when I was a kid.

Note the lack of obvious intakes for the engine and the refueling probe showing. I can find no info on the designation on the side of the aircraft or the tail number. It must have been taxiing by us at the time of the photo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• Jet-B2-060.jpg
    Jet-B2-060.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 379
Yes, I think you're right! Thanks so much for solving a family mystery. :D The intakes are sure hidden in that image and look they are small in other pictures.

Bruce

Another picture for your enjoyment. My father worked on the wing design of the F-104 at Lockheed as well as the downward ejection system. I remember well feeling the sharpness of the wing leading edge. Note the Connie in the background. Put some cross country miles sitting in those great planes!

Attachments

• F-104 4-58 B2-017.jpg
    F-104 4-58 B2-017.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 350
Dad worked for Lockheed in Burbank 1939-1972 as an engineer, we lived in Northridge. As I recall he was on the F-104 project, C-130, P2v, Connie, Orion, U2, rigid rotor at Rye Canyon, L-1011 and many others. Think he was on the P-38 design. He loved the work and in his last years with Alzheimer's still ran outside at the sound of a plane going over.

Bruce

Great to Know Bruce - I lived in North Hollywood and Burbank. Worked on the P-3, F-117, L1011, and I even did a little F-104 work at Building 360. We were doing some gun sight work for the Italian AF - this was 1980.

Did anyone notice the Connie in the background behind the 104? I lived in Burbank in the late 80s through the latter part of the 1990s and saw a lot of those buildings get torn down :( There was a lot of history there that is nothing but a memory today.

Sorry, I had my F's all wrong. Note to self:

F-104 Starfighter.
F-105 Thunderchief.

F-104 Starfighter.
F-105 Thunderchief.

F-104 Starfighter.
F-105 Thunderchief.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back