unknown puzzle again

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

why the markings?

1660246970784.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe they where some kind of metal strips adhered to the plexi-dome, and not painted on markings. Some kind of direction finder or some such kit. IIRC
You are right: this is the Peilgerät-antenna PeilG 4. The middle part is rotating in the same manner as the big loop-antenna on some a/c. The photo below is a PeilG used on Bf 109E night fighter as well, and is the same as on the Fw-189 photo:
post-481-0-22013100-1393854320.jpg

As per the German description the stripes are an additional antenna (Hilfsantenne).
If you remember the big Peilgerät on Ju-88, it's basically the same:
post-528-1236201160.jpg

Cheers!
P.S. Some seasons ago there was a discussion in the modeller's-section about a Bf 109E night fighter and I was searching for some more details, finding the above ones. There is also a PE-part manufactured by AML, representing this particular antenna:
vcVV5Ju.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea they were used as night fighters, thanks!
Check 10./NJG 1 for example. Older D-variant was also used in the same role.
Cheers!
P.S. I remembered a "fun-factor" as well. Many years ago I was checking photos of Bf-109E-Trop from several sources and found a "misterious one" from JG.27 in Sicily. The a/c had a"wart" under the belly and I didn't know what it is. Later on I came to the information about the PeilG and the night fighters. The "White 12" was one of them, but with no night use. You still can see the stripes of the PeilG 4 though:
hzZL5ps.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back