US RDF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fjray

Airman
Aug 31, 2004
TX
Anybody have a good web page or two for US Navy RDF info? I've stumbled across sites that briefly touch on it but not much detail.

Thanks

Actually I was going more along the lines of an ADF. I had read a page many, many moons ago about the Navy's development of navigation systems. This was a pretty interesting account. Anyway a friend and I were talking about old navigation stuff and……well you know how it goes when two history geeks start in…..never found that page again.

However, thanks for the second link! I had stumbled across that one a year or so ago and couldn't remember where to find it.

Sorry for the delayed response, work keeps getting in the way:)

ADFs (AKA NDBs) are still in use but are slowly being phased out. Although they have their limitations they are still a reliable back-up navigation and instrument approach system.

USN had an interesting device for assisting aircraft back to the carrier, the YE antenna. This transmitted a directional signal, with a different morse code letter for each 15 deg sector. Prior to the mission pilots were issued a code table for the day with the letters for each sector. Receiving the coded letter, one knew what sector the aircraft was from the carrier. At several thousand feet reception was possible out to 40 NM. The antenna was dubbed the "Hay Rake".

USN had an interesting device for assisting aircraft back to the carrier, the YE antenna. This transmitted a directional signal, with a different morse code letter for each 15 deg sector. Prior to the mission pilots were issued a code table for the day with the letters for each sector. Receiving the coded letter, one knew what sector the aircraft was from the carrier. At several thousand feet reception was possible out to 40 NM. The antenna was dubbed the "Hay Rake".
Hi Fliger747: Thatnks for that reference. Just read this paper describes that system:
http://aafradio.org/docs/YE-ZB.pdf

Anybody have a good web page or two for US Navy RDF info? I've stumbled across sites that briefly touch on it but not much detail.

Thanks

Cant give you a single web page for an overall view of the most common radio compass but if you search for Bendix MN-26 radio and MN-28 control head you should find plenty of links. Antenna may be MN-20 if rusty memory is any guide. All were used by USN/USAAF/civil aircraft but I cannot remember the AN numbers
As a guess www.radionerds.com, N5ARW Boatanchor Radios or Wireless Set No 19 Group Royal Signals WS19, 19 Set, FREE military document Archive. should have the manuals

I realize this post was a while ago, but just so people do not take the wrong thing away, RDF, Radio Direction Finding, is not the same as RADAR, RAdio Detection And Ranging.

RDF is a passive technique. You use one of several angle finding techniques (directional antennas, time difference of arrival, etc) to derive the direction a radio transmitter is from your location.

RADAR is an active technique. You transmit a signal, it reflects off a target, and using the received signal you measure some factor or factors of the signal to determine angles, range, etc to the target.

T!

Try this - the Army called them a radio compass so the link above is also applicable

Attachments

• Radio Direction Finders.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,106

Users who are viewing this thread

Back