USAAF Camouflage

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by Marshall_Stack, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Marshall_Stack

Engineer
    What do you think of the USAAF's practice to stop camouflaging their planes later in the war? I can see where it saves time and money in the production cycle and weighs less therefore giving a few more miles per hour. But if I was a pilot I would want some kind of camouflage or paint. It would seem that the sun would reflect off the silver aluminum thereby possibly giving the enemy the advantage in your detection. How about alt least one coat of some flat paint just to cut off the relections?

2. davparlr

davparlr Well-Known Member

retired avionics engineer
    I have read somewhere where the AAF made a conscientious decision to make the aircraft more visible thus encouraging combat with the Germans. How true that is, I don't know.

3. drgondog

drgondog Well-Known Member

Executive, Consulting
    Dave - I also heard that but no validation so far.

There were tangible reasons including less weight, better aerodynamics and lower unit cost to go along with the decision.

4. TheMustangRider

I have heard the same thing also, that later in the war when the USAAF had enough long-range fighters available they were seeking to engage the Luftwaffe and therefore destroy it as a competitive force faster but I haven't found any comfirmation of this as well.

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    There's also the thought about air-superiority. With the huge formations over Europe virtually daily, and the masses of con-trails, but with the USAAF having the 'upper hand', it was thought that camouflage paint was unneccessary. However, after some units moved on to the Continent after D-Day, some aircraft received a coat of camouflage paint on their uppersurfaces, not for concealment in the air, but on the ground, in case of attack on the airfields.

6. magnu

magnu Member

tattoo artist
    Camouflage could also be a disadvantage as found out by Maj.Clareborne Kinnard of the 4th FG. Having his P51 Man O War sprayed with irregular OD stripes caused him to be continually attacked by his own side and the camo job was removed post haste