USAAF Distinctive Unit Markings

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by prinses, May 16, 2011.

1. prinses

prinses New Member

Hi guys
    I’m currently doing some research into USAAF/USAF colors, finishes and markings. And I found lots of information on the standard colors and camouflages and I’m now looking into the distinctive unit markings. Do you guys know if there are USAAF Regulations, Technical Orders or Specifications or... which allocate or describe the colors and codes assigned to different squadrons or wings?
    Thanks,

2. ozhawk40

ozhawk40 Active Member

I have one only until I win Lotto!
    Hi Prinses

Thats a remarkably big question your asking, based on theatre, time period, command, unit etc.

There are whole books covering just one command. If it's more the ww2 time period your after, then books such as Roger Freeman's "Mighty Eighth - Warpaint and Heraldry" would answer most of your questions relating to that command, as an example.

HTH

Cheers

Peter

3. prinses

prinses New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have The Mighty Eighth: Warpaint and Heraldry book and it's very helpful. But I'm looking for official USAAF papers in which the different codes, colors and markings are described and allocated to the groups/wings/squadrons. I.e. the British S.D.0110 paper.

4. drgondog

drgondog Well-Known Member

Executive, Consulting
    The aircraft left the factory with the appropriate camo or NMF. Additional black/white cowl bands would have been applied at the Depot level before assignment to Groups.

Groups would dictate the 'standard' squadron/group codes. In March 1944 8thFC issued some directives for cowl band color schemes, and in October 1944, expanded the color schemes to include matching rudder colors. Having said that there was a lot of discretionary 'standards' that did not purely fit the Standard.

5. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

try this site,
    ArmyAirForces.com

6. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    In Europe, the standards for markings were only the fuselage codes and the tail markings, where applicable. If you saw a white square on the tail with a D in the middle of it, it was the 100th Bomb Group. I have the complete list around here somewhere, but keep in mind that sometimes things changed as needed. In the fluid movement of the battle and troop movement, things can get a little convoluted.

Additionally, station codes were also pretty standard, but also had exceptions. Drgndog covered the color schemes, as it did appear to be locally subjective. If you look at Freeman's book, "The Mighty Eighth, the Color Record", you will see that colors varied widely. You will also see that some of those paint jobs were pretty atrocious up close. Some looked like it was applied with a mop!

7. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

You may also want to try the USAF Historical research center out of Maxwell AFB, Alabama, they are the holder of all "Official" emblem records/designs.
    Johnny