USAF European Base closures

evangilder

"Shooter"
19,035
214
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Location
Moorpark, CA
Website
www.vg-photo.com
Looks like Mildenhall, Alconbury and Molesworth in the UK are closing. Lakenheath will be getting the F-35 in 2020. More closures in Germany, Italy and others. Alconbury and Molesworth are the last of the USAAF WWII airfields that were still in use by the USAF in the UK.

RAF Mildenhall to close amid other Europe consolidations - Europe - Stripes
 
Alconbury, as an airfield, has been closed for some years. It must be at least ten years ago when I did some TV filming work there, in the underground Command Center, built at a cost of some £13 million, and closed within three years.
The HAS's were empty and starting to rot, and the runways were being used by 'Top Gear' at that time, before they moved elsewhere.
The field still had civilian, or perhaps MoD security gates, and the main gate and camp were still occupied by the USAF, but the airfield was disused.
Be a shame to see Mildenhall go, and as far as I know, Molesworth was similar to Alconbury, being used for storage, and, I think, with at least some of the housing being used for displaced persons, but again, it's some time since I passed Molesworth, so things might have changed.
 
I am saddened to hear about Mildenhall.

Many times I've passed through over the years..

I still remember "Hog Call"!! And "Bird In Hand"
 
Still operational. Should escape further BRAC consideration until 2027.

Royal Air Force Mildenhall > Home
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back