USS Enterprise 1968-1969 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I clicked onto this thread thinking it was something totally different and space-related.

Obviously I was wrong there, but awesome pics.

Was it Enterprise or one of the others where they had that run-away missle start a fire due to improper safety procedures being implemented on an F-4 Phantom with early sidewinders? I know that was during this period from memory. Caused a big fire and the carrier needed ages before it could return to active duty.

Zuni missile on Forrestal 1967 (c.f., John McCain)

As of 1992, they still use the film footage and findings from the USS Forrestal during the firefighting/damage-control portion of boot camp at NTC Orlando. IIRC, standards in training for firefighting and damage control were completely overhauled and revamped after that.

There was a bad fire on the Enterprise on January 14, 1969.
Fire aboard Enterprise, 14 January 1969, in Hawaiian waters — The massive fire started when a Zuni rocket accidentally exploded under the wing of an F-4. Some of the subsequent 18 explosions were 500-lb. bombs cooking of in multiples, leaving 20-foot holes in the armored flight deck. Losses totalled 28 dead, 343 wounded, and 15 aircraft destroyed.

This fire was better contained due to what they had learned from the Forrestal. The information and photos are in this site. Link takes you directly to the page. Scroll about half way down and you will find it.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/65.htm

I didn't realise that they had had a similar fire aboard the Enterprise though I had heard of the one on the Forrestal which was the same period. I think they said it was something to with the arming protection circuit not working properly on those missiles. Because wasn't there something where there are now new safety things to prevent that type of accident occuring again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back