USSAF BC375 Radio transmitter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tony Kambic

Airman 1st Class
Oct 3, 2017
Virginia
Came across this in some of my volunteer work.

Attachments

• USAAF_BC375_Radio.jpg
    USAAF_BC375_Radio.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 550
  • USAAF_BC375_Radio_Dataplate.1.jpg
    USAAF_BC375_Radio_Dataplate.1.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 246
It is being clean up and will be used in a display on the museum floor.

Came across this in some of my volunteer work.
Do you have one of the tuning units that go in to large slot at the bottom? If not, I will be glad to send you one for the price of postage.

General Electric BC-375 transmitter, part of SCR-287, which was installed in all U.S. Army Air Corps Heavy and Medium aircraft until late war, when it was superseded by AN/ARC-8 (ART-13 transmitter). Also used in Navy PB4Y and other heavy patrol aircraft transferred from the USAAC. Was also built in 12-Volt version BC-191. This basic design first saw service in 1928 and remained in air service through WWII and in ground service (fixed and in vehicles) into the 1950s/Korea. The first news broadcast live from an aircraft at the 1933 inauguration of FDR used an early version of this transmitter. Sturdy, simple to maintain and operate and tough as nails. Some are "live" in amateur radio military collector stations (I have a complete, operating SCR-287), though they can be "four-handed" to operate properly in "ham radio" service. Original tubes for them have become the subject of "Audio Mania" and thus are very expensive. One of my projects is finding a usable, inexpensive substitute for them. Good to go with four out of five tubes so far.
Google "BC-375 Transmitter" and "SCR-287" for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back