Value of an original ME-262 flight insturment panel? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don S

Recruit
Dec 18, 2020
Hello. I collect Japanese military and am usually at the gunboards Japanese site. I have a chance to buy an original ME-262 flight instrument panel. It is complete and in ex. condition. It is just the flight instrument panel, no other gauges. It has the original box it was shipped home in. I have the GI's service APO address and serial number and other information about the it. I am trying to find a fair price for the panel. Thank you Don

Attachments

• ME-262 panel.jpg
    ME-262 panel.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 249
  • ME-262 panel2.jpg
    ME-262 panel2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 226
  • ME-262 panel3.jpg
    ME-262 panel3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 196
  • ME-262 panel 4.jpg
    ME-262 panel 4.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 189
  • ME-262 panel 5.jpg
    ME-262 panel 5.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 205
  • ME-262 panel 6.jpg
    ME-262 panel 6.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 229
  • ME-262 panel 7.jpg
    ME-262 panel 7.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 292
The first question is do you have clear title to this? Some of the auction houses, like Sotheby's are leery of dealing with objects to which the ownership is unclear (they've been burned by, among other things, art looted by nazis) and the second, do you have a reliable provenance indicating it's genuine?

If the answer to both is "yes," check a few aviation museums to see who they use for appraisals (they do have to insure stuff, if nothing else) and who they would use to buy or sell stuff.

Thank you for your response. I do have the right of refusal. I just want to be sure what an approx. value is, it is a high dollar amount and I am trying to see if the price it reasonable. I am buying it from a collector of German items. He bought then 20 years from the GI that sent it back at the end of the war. My friend met the GI at a gunshow where he was set up with signs saying wanted buy German; pistols; rifles; and swords. The GI was a pilot and was at the air field where there were some 262's and removed it from the plane. The GI actually sent two of them back. My friend bought two of them from the GI but sold one 10-11 years ago. The compass was missing from the one he sold. I am confident that it is an original panel from a ME-262. Don

Hello. I collect Japanese military and am usually at the gunboards Japanese site. I have a chance to buy an original ME-262 flight instrument panel. It is complete and in ex. condition. It is just the flight instrument panel, no other gauges. It has the original box it was shipped home in. I have the GI's service APO address and serial number and other information about the it. I am trying to find a fair price for the panel. Thank you Don
Hi Don, it looks nice. I will check the parts as for makers marks as i have done for others. Now a word of warning. Post war the soviets kept on producing flight instrument parts on the ex luftwaffe production lines. Quite a few of these came on ebay as original war time gear. There for it is value wise important to know the history. As you seem to have some, please share in pictures. You will be suprised what can be found out. I did that more then once. If it is really a 262 part with history it is worth quite a bit of money. If cobbled together far... far less.

I have attached pictures of one of the boxes that one of the instrument panels was shipped back in. The other box was a wooden box which is the one I will be getting.

I say it's worthless and I'll get rid of it for you. No need to burden yourself. Please contact me for pickup. :lol:

Attachments

• 262 box 1.jpg
    262 box 1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 262 box 2.jpg
    262 box 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 262 box 3.jpg
    262 box 3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 262 box 4.jpg
    262 box 4.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 166
After my first post about the ME-262 panel I have been researching it. I have the 4 volum set of the ME-262 by Richard Smith and Eddie Creek I also have a booklet on the ME-262 published bu A.J. press in Poland with a number of panel pictures. . After looking through all 4 volumes I see that there were a number of different instrument manufactures that supplied the instruments and all the instruments are not made the same. I had mentioned that the friend I bought the panel from had purchased two of them from the GI that sent them back. Jim had also purchased a German sword and a ME 109 flight control stick which he still has. Jim had sold one of the panels several years ago which was missing the compass. I have a picture of that panel also. I am attacheing several pictures from the Smith /Creek books of different paness as well as tha picture of the one that Jim sold several years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_2776.JPG
    DSC_2776.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_2777.JPG
    DSC_2777.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_2778.JPG
    DSC_2778.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_2779.JPG
    DSC_2779.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_2780.JPG
    DSC_2780.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_2795.JPG
    DSC_2795.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 175
wood panel with NO instruments can be found for $1000. Average Instrument value is around $4000...so maybe $5000 tops with it all together. One sold recently in the same condition for $4000, however. I could be interested, if you want to sell it,

wood panel with NO instruments can be found for $1000. Average Instrument value is around $4000...so maybe $5000 tops with it all together. One sold recently in the same condition for $4000, however. I could be interested, if you want to sell it,
If i may ask, how did you come to that pricing?
Not from ebay i am sure.
You being a collector will know other channels perhaps

Because I've been collecting for 25 years and I've had four of them. I I also had four Fw190 panels...and two me109 panels.

I am also one of the largest collectors of Luftwaffe material and equipment in North America... So I deal and trade in this stuff everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back