Very High Speed Torpedoes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After rereading some articles on my desk, the shkval or any supercav torpedo can´t be considered as a weapon of choice. Underwater-anything needs to be silent and stealthy, hence the opposite of how the shkval performs. With tactical redundance in mind, this weapon doesn´t present a thread except for pre emptive strikes or vengance ones. Questionable is, what development potential will allow further advances in this tech to become more stealthy.

Ive ehard that fast wake following torpedo's are very hard to detedt because they are hiding inside the turbulant and noisey waters churned up by the propellor

I can tell You that the opposite is the case. The nose of the torpedo always is in contact with surrounding water and surrounding pressure effcts may measure up to (d/w) db at trials. (I may give the hint that the soviet Papa class measured 97 db at 40 kts during trials).The speed of Sound underwater is very high, so there is at least a very good chance to detect it in time as long as the supercav is not naturally transsonic (measured against water). The torpedo itself is (for our times) strictly subsonic, both measured against air and against water, so the rocket propulsion noises also reach the water approx. 17-35 ft. behind the exhausts and can be detected as well.
Future research will need to concentrate for a optimal wave frequency at a special set speed. If the waves can delete each other out (theoretically possible but technically uninvestigated), there is at least a possibility to hide the exhaust noises. I read that the nose noises are matter of investigation, also.

These torpedo's can be considered one shot weapons, as whomever shoots it off will be met with a variety of return fire.

But, if you consider the cruel math of it, at least to the islamo-fascists, trading a small submarine for a torpedo hit on an aircraft carrier (fleet or amphib, dont matter), then they consider it a fair trade.

A somehow worrisome thought. But You are absolutely right, Syscom.
Problem is that they need to close in for at least 5.000 yrds for a clean shot (max range is up to 7.800 yrds but 5.000 give more solutions at all) and I am confident that they do not field the submarine tech to do this stealthy except for waiting on the seabed. The US submarine noise detections are the best in the world, this may give them the edge, but the risk stays.

45 seconds is plenty of time if you are ready for it.

It would almost take an automated setup though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back