Vickers G.O.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeepek

Recruit
Jul 5, 2008
Poznan
Does anyone have a source of information concerning production and/or use figures for Vickers G.O. 303 MG mounted os SAS Jeep?
Thx

There would be no specific production figures for SAS use. The VGO was made only as an aircraft gun and the SAS "borrowed" them from the RAF when they ceased to be used for their original purpose.

I doubt that you will find much information about the numbers used by the SAS either. Such installations were entirely ad hoc and unofficial, so no formal records were likely to have been kept.

That's right. The Vickers terminology was "Class K" (they called all of their guns of that period "Class x") but it was more generally known as the VGO (or just GO) for Vickers Gas Operated, because all of the other service Vickers MGs were recoil-operated.

Incidentally, the VGO was developed from the Vickers-Berthier, an LMG closely comparable with the Bren (which it almost beat in the British Army trials - it was used by the Indian Army). Berthier was a Frenchman who designed the first version of his gun before WW1, but Vickers bought the rights after the war because they wanted to get in on the LMG market.

Does anyone have a plans or drawings for Vickers K ??
I try to build a repro for my SAS Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back