VL Myrsky

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello again,

VL Myrsky II coded My-5 was the very first fighter from II series. It was finished from the factory in December 1943. The State Aircraft Factory used this plain mainly for testing the structure and for general development during the spring and the summer 1944.

Here the fighter is in Tampere Harmala airfield Finland in May 1944, just 70 years ago!! Some weeks later the Soviet massive counter attack started in Karelian Isthmus. The tests were hurried and My-5 and My-6 fighters flew test flights from morning till evening by two pilots.

On the 23rd of April 2014 the Finnish company called Patria ltd became the main financial supporter in the Myrsky project. Patria is a trusted provider of defence, security and aviation life-cycle support services and technology solutions. On that same day some VL Myrsky II parts were shown to the audience.

Great work and purposeful looking bird. Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished product.

Hello Again,

This project was really lucky. Still exist steel parts for wings and undercarriage were found from a local junkyard. I think that several wings were sold there 60 years ago and now we could found parts for a one fighter. :) Never put anything to a waste!

Hi Penjoy,

Very interesting photos. Please post any you find along the way. Altogether a very interesting project.

I wish you the best of luck getting it back in the air. Looks like a good 7 - 10 year project for 3 - 5 guys.

Ups, I need to define my role in this project with my poor English. I am only a fan of this project, that's all. I decided to write about this rare project here to make it more popular. I became interested in this fighter because it was only fighter in WWII that was designed in Finland. It did see some operations in World War II. Just 30 years ago it was difficult to find any precise information or a photos in books. Since that time the situation has changed. Lot of photos, many original parts and even original drawings have been found.

The goal of this project is to build a VL Myrsky II fighter only to some museum.

The very last VL Myrsky II fighter to exist was this MY-16 seen in this photo. It was forgotten and rejected besides of the FAF airfield in Kauhava. The photo was taken probable in the July 1959. Very far behind is possible to see VL Viima II silhouette. The trainer of FAF.

Hello,

Thanks for all of you. This VL Myrsky II fighter is under restoration, MY-14.

Photo probably taken in August 1944 in the Mensuvaara airfield (Russia).

Last edited:
Hello,

I had a possibility to visit in the VL Myrsky Workshop at the beginning of October. I took some photos from there.

The painted fuselage:

The canopy:

Several flaps for use:

The main landing wheel:

Parts for wings:

Devices:

Art:

Hello,

This project is slowly going on:

14324151.jpg

14324152.jpg

14324153.jpg

Hello,

Some older photos from Internet.

The Spinner:

14338502.t.jpg

Original :

14338503.t.jpg

Oxygen bottles behind a pilot:

14338504.t.jpg

The first aid box inside the fuselage. The box included for instance aspirin and morfin tablets. :)

14338509.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back