Vought F4U-1C, any blueprints or photographs that show the upper wing surface? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

HarvHR

Recruit
Oct 30, 2020
Afternoon folks,

I'm planning on building an F4U-1C model. The biggest issue I'm facing is the lack of good documentation online about this plane. As far as I can find, there are no solid images or better yet blueprints of the upper wing. I'd like to be able to find out the exact size for the cannon tubes, barrels, cannon bulges and the number of access hatches on the wings.

The flying 'F4U-1C' in America seems to actually be F4U-4B/F4U-5 wing shoved on an F4U-1D fuselage judging by the lack of cannon bulges and the gun tube having that mounting point on the outer cannon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether its a photo, blueprint or a link to a book that may answer my question. I've tried one blueprint website that sells plans, but the F4U-1C typically didn't have a view from above.

Most images are like this, where the colour of the Corsair makes it impossible to see any details.
F4U-1C_Formation-2.jpg

There is a top view of the F4U-1C's wing in Kagero Monograph 26 on sheet A. "The Vought F4U Corsair - A Comprehensive Guide" from SAM Publication also has some good pictures showing the upper wing pannels, including the cannon bulges.

Capture.JPG

Wow, beautiful image thank you. That's a great help. I'll check out that reference.

Much appreciated!

Afternoon folks,

I'm planning on building an F4U-1C model. The biggest issue I'm facing is the lack of good documentation online about this plane. As far as I can find, there are no solid images or better yet blueprints of the upper wing. I'd like to be able to find out the exact size for the cannon tubes, barrels, cannon bulges and the number of access hatches on the wings.

The flying 'F4U-1C' in America seems to actually be F4U-4B/F4U-5 wing shoved on an F4U-1D fuselage judging by the lack of cannon bulges and the gun tube having that mounting point on the outer cannon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether its a photo, blueprint or a link to a book that may answer my question. I've tried one blueprint website that sells plans, but the F4U-1C typically didn't have a view from above.

Most images are like this, where the colour of the Corsair makes it impossible to see any details.
View attachment 632229
Try AeroLibrary https://aircorpslibrary.com

New member, late to the party, I have a few images to meet the request. Just in case the build is not complete, or someone else happens upon this thread.
Here are four images of a cannon armed F4U-1C wing during production. [Scans from RG72 NARA by me]

Attachments

• xCV-9117-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Chute-Feed-[Vought].jpg
    xCV-9117-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Chute-Feed-[Vought].jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
  • zCV-9103-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Top-Surface-[Vought].jpg
    zCV-9103-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Top-Surface-[Vought].jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
  • zCV-9106-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-View-of-Front-[Vought].jpg
    zCV-9106-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-View-of-Front-[Vought].jpg
    87 KB · Views: 16
  • zCV-9154-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Bottom-Surface-[Vought].jpg
    zCV-9154-F4U-1C-Cannon-Wing-LH-Bottom-Surface-[Vought].jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Welcome to the site. The pictures may come in handy for sure. But according to our rules , please source the images. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back