Warbird you regret the most that there isn't a single surving example of?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is at least one Stuka. Can't remember where but ive seen pictures of it.
Its in pieces but I think I read the are plans to re build it though.
There appears to be a Stuka at RAF Hendon. Also, Paul Allen's Flying Heritage & Armour museum at Paine Field, WA are working on a Ju-87 project.. It is maybe still 1 year away from flying again. I've been there quite a few times for their fly days during the summer. Can't wait for this rare bird. They also have an ME-163 (on static display).
IMG_7445_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Some of these are interesting from a technical viewpoint but not a historical one, e.g., the XP-56. It's also rather obvious that Axis aircraft were less likely to be preserved than Allied ones -- one wants to be sure the losers know they've lost. Also, most of the countries in Europe, even those on the winning side, were in pretty parlous economic conditions: those conquered by Germany were pretty thoroughly looted, and just the problem of large armies fighting in your country will disrupt and wreck quite a lot, even if "well-behaved," and those not were in severe debt (part of the reason the UK continued rationing after the end of WW2 was that the country had such marginal currency reserves and such a large debt burden that it could barely afford to buy food). Keeping aircraft in museums costs money, and scrap metal has value. Buy food or keep an airplane for sentimental reasons? You pick.

The situation in the US was not the norm. While ex-USN and ex-USAAF aircraft still had scrap value, the US was in a much better economic situation than any of the Axis countries, and certainly the Allied countries in Europe (having those armies fighting on your soil is inevitably damaging).

Last edited:
On the Whitley and Stirling, I can't recall a Whitley project, but there are bits surviving in museums around the traps, but certainly not enough to create a suitable recreation of a complete example. Bits at the Midland Air Museum, Coventry:

49607327336_eaec544cb6_b.jpg
Whitley bits 1

49607575837_ee1a43de81_b.jpg
Whitley bits 2

This Whitley tail turret, a Nash & Thomson FN.4A and reproduction rear fuselage is at the war museum in Brussels.

49252943072_c828955041_b.jpg
Royal Museum 26

As for the Stirling, there are bits here and there, including this tailwheel assembly at the Spitfire and Hurricane Museum at Manston.

42798933910_c911e00f46_b.jpg
2307 Spitfire and Hurricane Memorial Stirling tail wheels

The Stirling Project has been ongoing for a few years now. Their website. The Stirling Aircraft Project

Personally, I'd like to see a Vulture engined Manchester. Yes, the Manchester DNA survives in every surviving Lancaster in that the fuelages were essentially the same, with detail and system differences, but it would make a very interesting point of difference if one survived.

Personally, I'd like to see a Vulture engined Manchester. Yes, the Manchester DNA survives in every surviving Lancaster in that the fuelages were essentially the same, with detail and system differences, but it would make a very interesting point of difference if one survived.

I'd like to see a complete, running Vulture on a test stand.

There are no complete Vultures left.

That it's not just "NZ to the rescue". There have been many hands involved in preserving this artifact thus far.

Okay, gotcha.

So the farmer who made money selling the parts ....and others no doubt, made up a more valuable part than the company in NZ who are spending the money, searching and paying for more parts, going through the frustrations and tribulations of getting what was a non-existent aircraft flying again are just a small part of the ''wish'' .....and are the people who are actually doing the ''rescuing.''.....................

Got your logic. Nice. :salute:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back