Was RLM 02 used as a top-surface camouflage colour on Luftwaffe fighters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rlm 72/73 are both greens, this relic is very well preserved, no color shifted amazing prove again!

at least I brought something, you nothing... bye bye!
nazicommunity.jpg

This is a shot of the Bf 109G-6 found and picked up from Trzebun lake a couple of years ago. Judging by the "3" on the fuselage the pic was taken two or more days later. I remember the "3" was red. But the colours of the kite started fading right on she was put on the shore of the lake. Two days later there was only the shape of the "3" on the fuselage. Other colour changed as well. Also I agree with Crimea River that most of these WW2 era images you posted are colourised or copied/printed with filters at least. So these are useless.

Here two shots of the Bf 109G-6 but taken these days with a slightly different angle and light conditions. It seems that the dark grey is either grey or of the greenish tinge.

109_1.jpg

109_2.jpg

so in your point of view, if we can not trust in photographs/footage nor ww2 era or modern pics because they don't show the real color, and all relics are useless because the color have shifted, tell me in what can we rely on? these are the tools that all previous researchers have used to make their opinions and write all books I stay firm to my arguments and convince on my theory, as I said I brought evidence and I'm still waiting for your evidence to prove me wrong, no only words...
cheers
antonio

getting back to the 02, these are very interesting relics very well preserved from a bf109e which flew Molders , and a bf110 who flew Rudolph hess, sure someone will say these are useless relics...
19780695-10154848572449786-7646863718117519035-o.jpg

large-000000.jpg

rear-fuselage-and-engine-db601a-from-bf110-by-sceptre63-d64x0ej.jpg

14573451878-93fb1812e0-b.jpg

14238819387-d40f734d3e-b.jpg

Last edited:
more prove, original rlm color guide and relic hatch from Do 217 which used rlm74

The Do 217 hatch is specifically colour coded with RLM 24 (dark blue) and white stripes (albeit oxidised). This particular colour combination of blue and white stripes was the standard colour code for the oxygen system (Sauerstoff) on all Luftwaffe aircraft. Also denoted by the warning at the bottom of the hatch to ensure the prevention of oil or grease from contaminating the oxygen. The colour of the hatch has nothing to do with the externally applied camouflage.

Just to clarify. The various colour names like "Dunkelgrün", etc, associated with the specific RLM colour codes which appear on various period documents are known to have differed from one manufacturer to the other. Especially the later war colours. The visually descriptive terms relating to the colour codes were not standardised and thus cannot be relied upon to offer a precise description of the intended colour. The colour names were simply a rough guide as to what colour looked like. The important and only term which was standardised was the RLM colour code (04, 66, 70, 71 etc, etc...).

The Do 217 hatch is specifically colour coded with RLM 24 (dark blue) and white stripes (albeit oxidised). This particular colour combination of blue and white stripes was the standard colour code for the oxygen system (Sauerstoff) on all Luftwaffe aircraft. Also denoted by the warning at the bottom of the hatch to ensure the prevention of oil or grease from contaminating the oxygen. The colour of the hatch has nothing to do with the externally applied camouflage.
I think you are right on that assumption, cheers!

I think you are right on that assumption, cheers!

Just to clarify that it wasn't an assumption. It was an accurate and factual observation of the colour applied to the aforementioned Do 217 hatch, cross referenced with numerous period documents and other surviving oxygen system hatches. The German's colour coded all of the varying individual systems on all aircraft. :)

Can the 70/71 scheme be possibly disguided as 71/02, as these colors (70/71) faded substantially, according to mr. Ullman's research?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back