Westland Whirlwind revisited

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have no evidence other than if a 1930s plane can carry an 18" torpedo internally it generally isnt an accident, US, German and Italian designs had to carry torpedoes externally. The Hampden could carry bombs or torpedoes and so could be considered for both. I think it was the size of a torpedo that governed the "cells" in a Stirling bomb bay, that screwed it up completely for carrying bombs like a "cookie".
The Stirling was not designed to carry torpedoes. That requirement was in specification P.13/36 which produced the Manchester and Halifax. The cells in the Stirling were designed for 2,000 AP bombs.
The Hampden was not designed to carry a torpedo and was modified to do so. A recall a post on this website showing the modifications.

The Hampden was not designed to carry a torpedo and was modified to do so. A recall a post on this website showing the modifications.

I believe there were photos included.
It required a bit of tin knocking on the floor of ventral gunners position, or more than a bit of work with the hammers.
They added the horizontal tail to the torpedo that allowed for a a higher speed drop, higher altitude drop or combination?
The tail set up may have been declared a secret as while there are lots of photos showing a Hamden on the ground with a torpedo nearby on a trolley, there are very few photos on the combination in the air or even loaded on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back