What 4 engine T-tail plane might I have seen?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
I don't have a photo, only a description. I live in Pennsylvania USA; I saw a 4 jet engine swept wing plane with a T-tail fly overhead. It had a slender fuselage. It was fairly low; so thumb size. I could not make out any markings, the overall color was grayish. I thought it was a C-141 but wiki says that they are retired. Any other contenders?

Here is a sketch showing what I think I saw.

The 146 is close, but it seemed larger than that, and the engines were slender. An Il-76 would be a very rare sighting low over Pennsylvania. I'm about 60 miles SE of Harrisburg where there is an ANG base. I've seen A-10 and elint C-130 quite often.
When I read that C-141 had been retired, I did not look at any pictures, I didn't want to move my memory. After doing this sketch, I did, and it did look a lot like this.

I was not as well lit from the bottom, so I don't recall the landing gear bulges.

Last edited:
I wonder if any National Guard units or Wright Patterson/NASA still flies a C-141
I beleive NASA's L-300 (C-141) was retired in '95 - plus it was painted in NASA's white livery.
It was a solid aircraft for it's time, so there might be one or two still serving with an ANG unit or perhaps the one seen was being transferred between museums?

Users who are viewing this thread