What aircraft are these guys in?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
I found this picture on the inter-web-do-hickey while searching in Google for pictures of the Arado Ar 232. Now the caption said it was taken from inside that plane, but I have my doubts. Does anyone know?

images.jpg

It looks like the rear of the Ar232's fuselage.

The gun positions were located on a platform just aft of the loading ramp's closed limit.

This photo isn't the best perspective, but look to the aft section of the fuselage, you'll see where the gun position(s) are.

image.jpg

Geo, those guys are at the tail of the fuselage. Note the bulkhead just about them, the sloping and radiused deck beneath them and the angle of the windows tapering towards the conjunction of the fuselage directly behind them.

You also notice directly in the forground, the barrier that's at the edge of the loading ramp opening.

Last edited:
I know the early Ar232s had the single MG131 tail position, but the later B series had two MG131s.

If that's not the Ar232, then it must be an aircraft of similar configuration.

And for the record, the He111's waist position was situated directly over the dorsal position. (Pardon the stock photo watermarks)

image.jpg

is it possibly an aircraft from the RA such as SM82 or Z1007?

Damn! You beat me to it! That is just what I woke up this morning thinking! A commondeered Regia Aeronautica plane. And perhaps the "studded" semicircular bar in the foreground is for use by a gunners feet to kick a dorsal turret around?

A couple of Ar 232 stills from this Russian video, was not expecting to see twin MGs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbOn8UYOFw

View attachment 350089 View attachment 350090 View attachment 350091

Now I'm gonna lose sleep looking something similar to Jim's photo

Geo,

I believe the video that you posted shows the Arado Ar 232 that was used for the abortive "Zeppelin" mission to insert agents into Russia with the specific aim of assassinating Marshal Stalin. Honestly an awesome find! Thanks!

To me it looks like the photo was taken from the back of the aircraft looking forward as indicated, but I can't explain that semi-circular ring in the foreground of Jim's photo.
Both gunners are keeping their feet away from the ventral bath and the guy on the right is being assisted with what looks like a harness of sorts. The ventral gunner seems to be crouching with his arse towards us.
Now, I don't how accurate cutaways are, but me thinks we don't see the dorsal gunner because there's a half-circular armour (8mm) plate (A) that comes down like a curtain with a gap at the bottom. You can see this in Jim's and Dave's photos. I'm presuming you can duck under this and move into the dorsal gunner's area.

I'd say He-III. But of course I could be completely wrong.

starting again20160811_10145903.jpg

Although no photographic evidence, even 'Wiki' states that the Arado had up to eight waste gunners when used as a troop carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back