What are Intake Manifold "T" Screens?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jmcalli2

Senior Airman
Dec 18, 2011
Hello;

I keep reading about Allison V-1710s being tested on various aircraft with and without Intake Manifold "T" Screens. These are different from the individual intake port backfire screens, as they are often mentioned in reports as being on the same aircraft at the same time.

Will someone be kind enough to explain what these "T" screens are? I can't find anything on the internet.
Thanks, Jim

The tee screens were backfire screens located at the base of the tee branches. These were the original backfire screens.

Forgive my ignorance, but where were these located, before or after the carburetor?

They were located downstream of the carburetor and supercharger at the end of the intake trunk near the center of the engine at the junction of the two manifold tees.

They were located downstream of the carburetor and supercharger at the end of the intake trunk near the center of the engine at the junction of the two manifold tees.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back