What Are You Listening To???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Title: Los Angeles
Artist: The Midnight

Title: Prom Night
Artist: The Midnight

Title: April Fool
Artist(s): Sunglasses Kid (Feat. IVERSEN)

Last edited:
Another favorite! I have every album of theirs except King Animal and love 'em all.

Also, Matt Cameron is second only to Neil Peart as a drummer in my book, but that band was loaded with talent. Like top-heavy, turn-over-in-a-storm talented.
Fun fact: I was playing in rock bands in Seattle back in the 80's, when that band got together.
A lot of us had a similar sound.
We were all the kids who grew up in the 70's listening to Zeppelin, Bad Co. and Floyd, among others.
When everyone is digging the same thing, we all tend to regurgitate it in a similar fashion.

Wow. Did you ever meet any of the guys we've all heard of?

A friend once showed me the snare drum most of Pearl Jam's "Ten" was recorded on.
Back then, he ran a recording studio in Seattle and they came in and laid some tracks.
It's a Noble & Cooley Horizon model and is light as a feather.

A friend once showed me the snare drum most of Pearl Jam's "Ten" was recorded on.
Back then, he ran a recording studio in Seattle and they came in and laid some tracks.
It's a Noble & Cooley Horizon model and is light as a feather.

One thing I loved immediately about Seattle bands when I first heard them around 1989 was the crisp pop of the snare in most of the recordings, as opposed to the prevalent gated-reverb bang of most other genres. They miced them close and often switched the snares away from the bottom head to really make it cut through the mix. No reverb, no BS, the backbeat was in and out without cluttering the mix.

I think the snare-drums were shallower, too. Not quite piccolo, but seven or so inches rather than eight or nine. A good tone all the same, they followed the rule of "don't fight traffic". Every sound from heavy guitars to splash cymbals got slotted into the freq spectrum and didn't argue with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread