What exactly is Indie Rock?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
I know that I must have heard some at one time or another, but what is Indie Rock? How do I recognize it? Where did the genre of music originate? In the Scandanavian countries? And what are your favorites?

Educate me and post some links or upload some that you think is better than most.

Indie rock is a subgenre of the alternative rock genre is used to term rock groups that are signed to independent lables.

Indie Rock is just short for Independent Rock and is not associated with any particular country. It is most predominant though in the US and UK.

There is no definate style to the music either and is just alternative rock to alternative country to Post Punk and Garage Rock.

Prominate Indie bands that you may have heard or should take a look at are:

White Stripes, The Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, The Hives, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, The Libertines, Dirty Pretty Things, Babyshambles, and Razorlight.

Thanks, Adler! I like the White Stripes, but haven't heard of the others. I don't know where I got the Scandanavian origin thing. Maybe I was thinkingn of Ska?

I tihnk the meaning has changed somewhat, at least in this country, and is now used to describe pretty much anything mainstream that isn't pop dance or r n'b

Indie rock used to be independant labels, like Chris said ... but now I take it as collectively refering to crap (mostly the British ones). But not all are crap ... so it's a shame I have to lump them in there, but I can't be bothered to point out different ones.

Frankly, Matt, I envy you. You don't have to listen to Arctic "poo" Monkeys.

Grunge all the way! wooo! :|

Yes the meaning has pretty much changed now to mean anything that sounds like aka white stripes and so forth.

I fully agree with you pD about the Arctic Monkeys. They unfortunatly will be at RIP this year and I will be at the tent drinking beer when they are playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back