What if?????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rommel was more offensive that defensive. His defensive skills were nothing to go writing home about, in my opinion. He was no better in the defence than any other General Staff members.

He didn't perform as the defender of Fortress Europe. Had Rommel listened to Guderian in April 1944 then it might have gone a lot different. Rommel was offensive, not defensive. Kesselring knew how best to make use of the terrain.

The best German generals were Guderian, Kesselring, Balck, Manstein and Rommel. Although there's many other lesser known generals that deserve much credit.

Dont take me wrong. I know Rommel was not the best defensive but he new how to make the best out of nothing. He did it over and over again in N. Afrika. Once he stopped you attack he went on the offense and made you pay for it and then he ran out his supply lines.

The desert was an easy place to "play" though. Of course he was an excellent general and he read the British well. He was fast acting and a risk taker, excellent offence.

The German General Staff was a mix of excellent thinkers. That's why it worked so well. You want to defend? Ask Kesselring. You want to go onto the offensive? Ask Guderian. Etc. etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back