what kind of plane is this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't know anything other than from wiki "P.12 Lysander Delanne (Unofficially referred to as the Westland Wendover)[24] Adaptation of a Lysander II as a turret fighter, its standard wing retained but with a twin tailed Delanne type rear wing and 4-gun Nash & Thompson power-operated tail gun turret replacing the empennage. It flew well but did not proceeded past trials with turret mock-up.[25]" I was just pointing out that not all of these planes are "canard" designs, tandem wings and Delanne wings are similar but different.
You have to think that instead of pursuing these nutty concepts, the FAA would have been better off just making the very best conventional aircraft possible. A single seat, single engine, Merlin-powered, wide-track, folding wing, eight-gun, bomb-capable long-range, >330 mph fighter. Make that first, and then you can play with what is clearly surplus time and money.

You have to think that instead of pursuing these nutty concepts, the FAA would have been better off just making the very best conventional aircraft possible. A single seat, single engine, Merlin-powered, wide-track, folding wing, eight-gun, bomb-capable long-range, >330 mph fighter. Make that first, and then you can play with what is clearly surplus time and money.
Well they didn't pursue these concepts, but that's all they were looking at "concepts". As I understand it, just from looking at the Wiki articles both types were merely for research into formats with an eye on the jet age. They only had 140HP engines and so could just to say get in the air.

Both the Miles M.35 and the Miles M.39B Libellulas were TANDEM WINGED AIRCRAFT, NOT canards. If their designer, George Miles, heard them being called canards he would not have been over impressed!
Sounds like a biplane to me. Who's to say two wings must be stacked?

Beck-Mahoney_Sorceress.jpg

BB13XC26.jpg

Both the Miles M.35 and the Miles M.39B Libellulas were TANDEM WINGED AIRCRAFT, NOT canards. If their designer, George Miles, heard them being called canards he would not have been over impressed!
They have near same design. Frontally mounted, short wings

The difference is that a canardd is primarily a stabilizing surface, while the front wing on a tandem wing aircraft supports something around half the aircraft's weight. (Originally posted before I was completely awake)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back