What kinds of zeppelins did the Navy use during this time?

aidenmac16

Airman
32
28
Joined
Oct 15, 2024
Question: what kind of zeppelins did the Navy use during this time?
 
 
Which navy?
It'd have to be the German Navy. IIRC no other navies bought Zeppelins. But you'd find this out on Google. Again.
 
The where ridgit airships Zeppeling is just a brand name, like Ford. The principle of the inner ship besides the floating gas is more or less the same.
Not sure what this means but I've never heard Macon, Akron et al ever referred to as anything other than either 'blimp', 'airship' or 'dirigible'. Zeppelin is indeed a brand name, hence the distinct difference between Zeppelins built for Germany and other airships built elsewhere that were definitely NOT Zeppelins.

But again, if the OP asks a clear question with some point to it, maybe they'll get an informed answer. Or Google it first.
 
definitely NOT Zeppelins
Indeed. Its like calling a bf 109 a mustang. On the other hand they are 1 engined propeller driven armed and armoured fighters. Not the same but the same concept.

Look in the thread i provided. You perhaps can see the general concept of either Zeppelins or American Ridgits being more or less the same.
Same for the Brit ones.

Floaty device with chambered gas cell. With a ridgit inner construction and here and there an engine and command pod.
They are the same concept.
 
U.S.S. Shenandoah. ZR-1. I believe this was based off a Zeppelin design.
U.S.S. Akron. ZR-4. Built by the Goodyear Zeppelin Corporation.
U.S.S. Macon. ZR-5. Built by The Goodyear Zeppelin Corporation.
I forgot who built U.S.S. Los Angeles. ZR-126(?). ;)
I'm ignoring the "Tin Bubble" 'cause I don't consider it a Zep and I never paid much attention to it.

I'd love to find to find my copy of Janes All the Worlds Airships.
 
Last edited:
The USS Los Angeles Was build by the Zeppelin corporation so I think that would make it a USN Zeppelin

ZR-3
LZ 126 was stuck in my head for some unfathomable reason.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back