What planes used a Japanese Navy Type 92-2 Bombsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

krugster

Recruit
Jun 2, 2013
DSCF4757.JPG
DSCF4771.JPG
DSCF4798.JPG
tag sight.jpg
tag sight back.jpeg

This Japanese Navy Type 92-2 bombsight was brought back to the U.S. by a Navy Lt. after the war. It is a cased set with a stamped inspection tag form May 1940 that identifies it to the Japanese Carrier Soryu. My research has identified that the sight was used on Nell, Betty, Frances and Jill Japanese aircraft.

3 out of 4 of these planes are land based bombers. The Jill was a carrier aircraft. The rub is why would this bombsight be assigned to the Soryu? The Jill was not operational when the Soryu was afloat. I would like to see if I can find any proof that the 92-2 could have been used on planes involved in the Pearl Harbor attack. The Zero, Val, Kate, Dave and Jake were all used in the action. The best prospects would be the Kate, Dave and Jake. The Dave and Jake were launched first from cruisers for reconnaissance. The Kate was used as a level bomber.

The first wave had 40 Kates with torpedos and 49 Kates with 800kg anti tank bombs that dropped them from 3000 meters. They flew in groups of 5. One plane was designated to use its bomsight for the group. They attacked the ships. The Vals used 250kg land bombs for land based targets.

The second wave had the Kates attacking land targets. They used 250kg and 60 kg bombs. Vals dive bombed the ships with 250kg anti ship bombs.

The Kate preceeded the Jill. Could the Type 92-2 sight been used on these Kates?

Might they have been used on a Dave or Jake? These planes had limited bombing capabilities.

Again, 3 out of the 4 planes I have identified as using the type 92-2 are land based bombers. What facts can be found about their connection to the Soryu?

I would really like to know what the connection is. I've heard different explanations that all seemed possible. I'm hoping there is a picture, a paper trail or first hand account of how this sight is connected to the Soryu.

Thanks for your intrest.

Last edited:
Hot news. Shinpachi just posted a translation of a materials list for the boxed sight and the abacus was not on the list. May just be a souveier brought back or maybe it was added to the sight box to do the math calculations needed to adjust the sight. Anybody have a manual for a Type 92-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back