What use did these 2 parts have?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember once seeing an allied plane used in WW1 that had that symbol painted on it, it seems that before the rise of the Nazi regime this symbol was already used in other places, but I did not know that another air force used it.

I remember once seeing an allied plane used in WW1 that had that symbol painted on it, it seems that before the rise of the Nazi regime this symbol was already used in other places, but I did not know that another air force used it.
Several Imperial German aircraft in WWI had the swastika on them for good luck, as the swastika (in various forms and names) is an ancient symbol in many cultures and religions around the world.

In the US, the swastika was popular, as it was a Native American symbol - the US Army's 45th infantry div. used it as well as their 55th Pursuit Squadron.
There was even an automobile manufacturer that used the symbol on their emblems.

The swastika symbol, or , today primarily recognized in the West for its use by the Nazi party, is an ancient religious symbol in various Eurasian cultures. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indic religions including Hinduism, Buddhism and Janism.

It generally takes the form of a cross, the arms of which are of equal length and perpendicular to the adjacent arms, each bent midway at a right angle.

The word swastika has been used in the Indian subcontinent since 500 BCE. The word was first recorded by the ancient linguist Pāṇini in his work Ashtadhyayi.

The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit root swasti, which is composed of su 'good, well' and asti 'is; it is; there is'. The word swasti occurs frequently in the Vedas as well as in classical literature, meaning "health, luck, success, prosperity", and it was commonly used as a greeting. The final ka is a common suffix that could have multiple meanings. According to Monier-Williams, a majority of scholars consider it a solar symbol. The sign implies something fortunate, lucky, or auspicious, and it denotes auspiciousness or well-being.

Here you can read upon some history in regards to the origin of the "Hakaristi" as they term it in Finland. And was used on all sorts of aircraft's belonging to the Finnish Air-force.
It is still in use today on some Regimental Flags (Most likely Putin might highlight this also to accuse the Finns as Nazi's). ;)

Attachments

• Fin Bf-109.jpg
    Fin Bf-109.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Hakaristi.jpg
    Hakaristi.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 26
Here you can read upon some history in regards to the origin of the "Hakaristi" as they term it in Finland. And was used on all sorts of aircraft's belonging to the Finnish Air-force.
It is still in use today on some Regimental Flags (Most likely Putin might highlight this also to accuse the Finns as Nazi's). ;)

So I think that the bad thing is not the symbol itself, but the person who uses it. I guess only people from places where it was used before can use it without guilt. In my country children use it out of ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back