What was the worst Aircraft of WWII? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hot Space

Tech Sergeant
Ok, Feller's :D

Here's one for ya......

What was the worst?

For me it was the Avro Manchester with those 2 awful Rolls-Royce Vulture Engines :evil: :evil: :evil: ..........but at some point they put 4 Merlins on it and called it the "Lancaster" 8)

What's your's?

Hot Space

Germany: Me 163 Komet ( Killed more German pilots at a modest cost to 10 allied aircraft it shoot down. )

USA: P-40 decimated by Germans in Afica but at my houmble opinion way overmodeld in IL-2 FB especialy after 1.22 patch ( Also could be P-39 but Russians put it at good use so....)

GB : Westland Whirlwind ( no comment hehehe )

Japan: Great enigma for me :)

the whirlwind kicked ass!!!!!!!!! but the engines sucked ass i mean if it had twin merlins it could go 422mph but nooooo (we cant spare merlins for best twin engine fighter but we can spare merlins for crappy two seater fulmar fighter)

let's see hear, i'm glad you think the lanc. is the best bomber of the war, it's better than the B-17 *cough* crap *cough*, but the worst, the blackburn b-25 roc, the predecesser to the boulton paul defiant, it was designed the reak havoc in german bomber formations, but it had no chance of catching them with a top speed of 199mph! that or the fairey battle, i mean it was one of the RAF's first monoplanes, but it was only armed with 1, yes 1 .303 machine gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly:

The Fairy Battle I admit, was as bad as the Manchester, but in a different way.

The Manchester was just a flying coffin because of the engines bursting into flames for no reason, while the Battle was just too SLOW and like you say 1 Gun for defence :confused: :confused:

The Boulton-Paul Defiant had a top speed of 304 mph at 15,000ft, M8 :D

Crap in the daytime and just workable as a Nightfighter, but with all the Radar etc..........is was much slower at night :cry:

About 280 mph.

Hot Space

I know the defiant was to put it lightly, not great, but i'm saying the Roc was a hell of allot worse

The Manchester, Komet, and Battle were several of the worst, as you guys said. I'll try to think of more. 8)

Suprising, isn't it? The best bomber of the war came from the failed Manchester?

Anonymous said:
the whirlwind kicked ass!!!!!!!!! but the engines sucked ass i mean if it had twin merlins it could go 422mph but nooooo (we cant spare merlins for best twin engine fighter but we can spare merlins for crappy two seater fulmar fighter)

Hmmm, actually they decided that due to the massive power difference between the Peregrine and Merlin engines the Whirlwind's airframe would need considerable redesign for it to be strong enough to use Merlins. I agree it would have been nice to see though - I always thought the same about the P-38... :rolleyes:

My vote for worst aircraft of the war goes to the Vultee Vengeance - so crap that... well, just CRAP! (I forgot the "amazingly crap" reason there - sorry.) :oops:

And Crazy a lot of good aircraft started out as mediocre, or worse, projects - look at the P-51 and Ki-100 (strapping a radial engine onto the indifferent Ki-61) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back