• Wing Guns Only

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Cannon/Wing Gun combo

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • My finger gun "pew....pew,pew!"

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Against fighters, I will go with 6 or 8 50 cal. in the wings. Seemed to work well in US fighters in all theaters.

matched high MV Cannons for me, as in the Typhoon/Tempest/Hurri iiC etc.

the destructive power of a cannon gives a far higher probability of critical damage if you hit with a snapshot or deflection shot, having matched weapons with matched ballistics will be preffered to mixed cannon / MG setups like the 109 or Spit!
how many aircraft limped home with MG damage compared to cannon damage? I would wager the difference was substantial!

If I had to go with just cannon or MGs, I'd opt for just 4 20mm wing cannon. Regarding a mix, you can't go wrong with what the Fw-190A had (4 cannon, 2 MGs)

The D-13 just had three 20mm cannons, as Motorkanone and in the wing roots. I think that if a Motorkanone is installed then it was not possible to mount the cowl weapons due to lack of space (for ammunition and a potential intercooler) and vice versa.
The Doras looked as if they could have the gun configuration you mentioned though.
Later in the war the Focke Wulf engineers did manage to house an intercooler into the Dora airframe what was not possible before (OT).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back