What's Going On Here?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
IMG_20240211_231857.jpg

Phantom of the Ruhr. Lancaster Mk.B1 PA474 that completed 121 operational bombing raids according to The Press History. Could be a good kit to build. :thumbright: :D

It is a kit that contains a full ( according to the manufacturer ) maquette of the Lanc nose only with a stand for it. A dispassionate sight. There's nothing to get excited about, IMHO.

lanc nose.jpg

mickey-the-moocher-1-32-avro-lancaster-nose-border-models-v0-tyhaceylatmb1.jpg

the pic source: the net.

RAF daylight raid? Pilot doesn't look right
Correct, seemingly not in flying gear and in any case, wrong colour uniform. Pa474 however was involved in some daylight raids and raids over Berlin but the box cover details do not seem to signify this.

Edit, forgot to update this earlier but having seen the above, it seems superfluous now. :D

Strange box art, with what look like P-40s at upper right !

BTW, Lancaster PA474 is the BBMF Lanc, which never saw operational service, being used as a test bed until transfer to the BBMF in the late 1950's. However, she did wear the markings of the real "Phantom of the Ruhr" at one time, and also "Mickey the Moocher", among others, over the years.

Just on a point of order, Terry, if I may - PA474 (the BBMF Lanc) did see operational service - with 82 Squadron RAF.

151943880_3640899679298352_8303725039085109527_n.jpg
After being converted from a B.I(FE) to a PR1 variant on 20 May 1947 it served with 82 Sqdn on photo reconnaissance operations (mainly surveying former colonies in Africa) and appears in the squadron ORB's from Sept 1948 through to March 1953.

Never dropped a bomb, true, but was none the less very operational.
Prior to it's PR1 life it had been waiting around at No 38 and No 32 MU since manufacture in March 1945.

Andy

(BTW - I plan to do a 1:48 conversion of the Tamiya kit, just need to find out the visible mods to the B.I(FE), other than the obvious turret fairings and canopy shielding)

Sources: AM Form 78 for PA474 at www.lancasterbombers.net
and The National Archives of the UK - 82 Squadron Operational Records Books AIR 27/2633/various.
picture from "T'internet"

Yep, you're correct.
I should have stated that she didn't see operational sources in WW2.

From what I remember, the only other externally visible difference was the air intake on the starboard, mid fuselage side, serving the rudimentary aircon.

RAFM Hendon may have them, and I'll look in my references too, when I have a chance.
I spent quite some time around PA474, back in the early 1980's, when I made an AV presentation on the BBMF.

If the thread is for the model, then the "Start to Finish" builds section in Modelling would be a good place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back