Whats your favorite aircraft from WWI??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My understanding was that in a sesquiplane layout, the single lower-spar/single attachment-point was the weak spot in both airplanes.

Oh yeah, that definitely was what the issue was and it was a sesquiplane in layout, but it was intended that the lower wing was there to support the upper wing, is all. The Nieuports are light as a feather, I guess that's what pilots liked about them, so they felt they could throw them about.

46199486351_6c32c724f0_b.jpg
Nieuport XI-3

A great series of books. Certainly not cheap by any means. One review says pictures are a bit blurry. Do you find this to be true or just another example of an old guy not putting on his reading glasses

The print quality isn't great, but the content is good and likely among the most detailed in English on Siemens-Schuckert. I don't have any of the others, but I suspect their treatment will be equally as good. To be honest, I can't vouch for their accuracy, but the Siemens one provides a lot of stuff I didn't know before I bought the book. When I was in Berlin two years ago I went to the site of the first airfield that Siemens built, which is in the suburb of Karlshorst and of which there are the derelict remains of airfield buildings, so I wanted a bit of background, but there is little info on the buildings. The Siemens factory in the northwest of Berlin is where they developed their aeroplanes, whereas the site at Karlshorst was where its airship shed was located.

The derelict hangars were the first concrete aircraft hangars in Germany.

48557518782_b06b7c60a5_b.jpg
Europe 341

The Siemens airship and it's shed on a display board at the site.

48557386261_c1e9a54d7a_b.jpg
Europe 344

That view today. The site is fenced off as a wildlife reserve and the fence is electrified to deter casual passers-by.

48557523432_b2baf27a0d_b.jpg
Europe 343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back