Where could European aviation be today had political agendas not prevented such an aviation industry arising in the 60's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I always thought it odd that both France and Sweden could have robust and competitive postwar fighter programs but Britain, for the most part could not.
Well they did, but being (until today) too self-eccentric they never respected/realized other countries requirements.
Due to purchasing the BAC Lightning and F-4 they cut themselves off from developing larger fighter programs till the Panavia Tornado. And even on the latter one they projected
own interests making that aircraft far more expansive for themselves then maybe actually needed. The Eurofighter was therefore far more successful.

The Jaguar was a great aircraft - also sold in respectable numbers, but again an aircraft NATO themselves didn't need or saw the prospects.

Same goes for the Harrier, but a very limited role and therefore very limited numbers. I always wonder how the British and German aerospace might have developed with China having signed an agreement for 200 Harriers plus another 300 solely to be build in China and preliminary discussions regarding Jaguar, Tornado and the Eurofighter concept, if not for Tienanmen.

As for political agendas, what of Sweden and SAAB? Their fighters would have been competitive globally if allowed to be sold. The Saab 29 Tunnan would have met the MiG-15 over Korea on good terms.

As for political agendas, what of Sweden and SAAB? Their fighters would have been competitive globally if allowed to be sold. The Saab 29 Tunnan would have met the MiG-15 over Korea on good terms.
If I am not mistaken, the Swedish government had restrictive laws in regards to exporting weapons till the 90's - their tanks e.g. IKV 91 and STRV 103 (S-tank) were regarded highly
but not allowed for export.

Sweden did export both aircraft and armored vehicles (?) to Austria as it was a declared neutral country.
Denmark and Finland picked up a few J 35 Drakens.

The market was not as opened as we think may have been in those years. Some countries were willing to spend extra money (and perhaps not as good a product?) in return for not giving the appearance of favoring either side during the cold war.
Finland tried buying from both sides but I don't know what that did to logistics for spare parts.

If I am not mistaken, the Swedish government had restrictive laws in regards to exporting weapons till the 90's
Well yes, that's what this What If thread is all about?
What would/could Europe's military aviation look like today if it's key countries - such as Britain, France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland and Belgium had formed a solid common aerospace group of interest in the 60's?
You've asked us to consider WHAT could have been IF countries, like Sweden could have overcome whatever barriers presented themselves to have formed a common aerospace group in the 1960s. Clearly for this to work on SAAB's part they have circumvented whatever restrictive laws covered weapons export.

It's your thread, why did you include Sweden in the OP if you just wanted to cancel them out? You just trolling us?

Last edited:
Well yes, that's what this What If thread is all about?

You've asked us to consider WHAT could have been IF countries, like Sweden could have overcome whatever barriers presented themselves to have formed a common aerospace group in the 1960s. Clearly for this to work on SAAB's part they have circumvented whatever restrictive laws covered weapons export.

It's your thread, why did you include Sweden in the OP if you just wanted to cancel them out? You just trolling us?
I thought that your question was referring to the actual situation

Off-course setting up a common European aerospace industry in the 60's would have needed all kinds of government support-including a revision of prevailing laws that might obstruct
such a venture. E.g. Airbus military and it's subsidiary EADS Astrium headquarter was transferred from Germany to France - because of such law regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back